Chapter 14 - Bad Dream

_________________________________

"Some wars help us bloom"

- Kavya Dixit

_________________________________

Salvatore's POV: Trigger Warning.

We are sitting at the table eating the risotto that I made. To be honest I think it's pretty good. Not the best I have made, but still, better than the frozen pizza we were going to have.

We are both in silence. But it's not an awkward silence, it's a comfortable silence.

I'm not used to having to explain my actions. if anything that is the opposite of what I have to do. When I say 'jump', all I hear is 'how high'. But after the incident that just happened, I knew that I needed to talk to Amara. I need to tell her a few ground rules at least. Maybe that will keep her safe? I just don't want to sound like I want to control her. "So, umm... Amara. The room that we were just in." I clear my throat "That was my office. It's on the top floor so that it's quiet and out of the way"

"Okay,' she says in response, slightly unsure as to where my point is going.

"Amara, I own a lot of businesses. And some of the people that I am in business with, well, they aren't very nice people" I tell her.

"Then why are you in business with them?" she asks me bluntly.

"I don't really have a choice" I could kill them, but that would just lead me to work with even worse people.

"Amara I don't want you to go up to that floor unless it's an emergency" I tell her. I try to keep my voice as warm as it can be. Trying my best not to scare her.

"Okay," she says. Is that it? An 'Okay'. No why? How come? Are you hiding something? Dead body? Tortured soul?

"O...kay?" I say

"Yeah? Is that the wrong answer? I mean if you don't want me there, then I won't be there"

"It's not that I don't want you there. It's that I don't want what happened to you to ever happen again. So unless it's an emergency. Just stay away from the third floor. Okay?" My hands ball up into fists at the thought of the incident that just happened.

"Okay," she says with a smile and a small nod.

I see that she has finished her food. "Did you enjoy it?" I ask, pointing to her plate.

"Are you kidding, it was amazing. Can we have it again tomorrow?" She asks me. A chuckle escapes my lips. "We can have whatever you would like," I tell her.

"Is it okay if I go to bed? All the shopping kinda tired me out." She asked me

"Of course." She stands up from her chair and slowly makes her way to the door. "Good night Amara" I tell her.

She looks back at me. "Good night Salvatore." One day, I hope that will change for Dad. Or Papa.

Once she leaves I'm left alone with my thoughts. The thought of how in a couple of days my life has changed completely. I have gone from a cold-hearted Don to a father of the most precious girl in the world. Although it fills me with happiness to have her in my life, I can't shake the feeling that there is something she is hiding from me.

I know why she was placed into foster care. But she hasn't spoken about it once. She hasn't cried once. She hadn't even asked if her stepdad had been found, or what was going to happen with her mom's body. Nothing. It's almost like she is glad to be away from them. It's like she hasn't given the situation a second glance.