Seven

Sunlight streamed through the window and into Cal's face. She stretched out, feeling for Matias. The other side of the bed was cold.

Cal opened her eyes. She wasn't in her room in Lucis. She was in Lucas's bedroom. She sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

She smelled something sweet and delicious. Cal got out of bed. Her feet padded down the hallway to the kitchen.

"I'm going to get it this time," she heard Lucas chirp. "I know it, Dad."

"You've been saying that for twenty minutes, Luc," Akaljot laughed. "You've only managed to make one hjerte pannekaker."

Cal looked into the kitchen. Lucas stood at a stove, frying pan in hand. Akaljot had a paring knife in his hand and strawberries on the cutting board; his bright red hair was tied up in a messy knot. They both had smiles on their faces and laughter in their eyes. Lucas caught sight of her.

"You're awake!" he shouted, a massive grin on his face.

Akaljot looked over at her. "Good morning, Cal. How are you?"

She started scratching her arm. "I'm good. Is Matias okay? When can I go see him?"

Lucas's grin fell. "He was still in the same condition last night when I took over watch. We haven't heard anything since Luna took watch."

Akaljot halved a few strawberries and set the knife down. He pulled a plate with a hjerte pannekaker towards him. He spooned a dollop of Krigerean yogurt onto the pannekaker, dropped a few strawberries onto it, and drizzled some honey.

Cal sat down at the table. It was mahogany and set for three people. Akaljot sat down on the table in front of her.

"Eat up," he said. "Someone wants to meet with you."

She stopped chewing and covered her mouth with her hand. "Who?" she asked around her mouthful of pannekaker.

Very princess-like, Cal, she scolded herself.

"Maria Magik."

Cal swallowed and her jaw dropped. "Maria Magik?"

"I did it!" Lucas cheered.

Cal and Akaljot looked at Lucas, their eyebrows raised. Lucas had his fist in the air, the pan in his other hand, and a crooked grin on his face. The sound of something peeling off of the ceiling drew their attention upwards. A failed pannekaker fell from the ceiling and onto Lucas's face with a splat.

Cal sat on the bench outside of Maria's study. She had thrown on the clothes she wore to Krigere—the red and gold tunic, the burgundy pants, the black pants...

Once she bought new clothes, she would scrub off seven layers of her own skin and have either Luna or Matias burn them for her.

"Are you okay, Cal?" asked Akaljot from beside her.

"I'm fine," she answered defensively.

He pursed his lips. "Whatever you say, Cal."

A door opened and Cal looked over to see the woman from the hospital poke her head out of her study. Her face broke into a smile, her grey eyes growing kinder with smile-lines at the corners of her eyes. Her greying blonde hair was braided back, a few strands slipping free. She stepped out of the study and walked towards Cal.

Cal stood up.

"Princess Calista Pyro," said the woman. "You hail from the House of Fire, are the sole heir of the Lucinean throne, and you are the fated Light-Bringer." She glanced at Akaljot and back at her. "And the daughter of the Everlight—granddaughter of Baldur—so it seems."

She swallowed. "How do you—"

The woman held out a hand. "Maria Magik. Daughter of Dahlia and a descendant of Javareya."

Of course. Dahlia's daughter could have foreseen and have known all of this.

Cal took Maria's hand. "The fact that you know all of that is terrifying."

"I get that a lot," she said, shrugging. "Come with me."

Cal followed Maria to her study. She looked back at Akaljot once as Maria closed the door behind them.

"Have a seat," said Maria, gesturing to a pair of chairs in front of a dark oak desk.

Cal tentatively took a seat across from Maria. Shelves of books lined the walls and a fire was roaring in the fireplace. She turned away from it.

"You look so much like your mother," said Maria. "I remember meeting her in this building nineteen years ago. I saw her fate. Right know, I see yours."

Her brows furrowed and her eyes turned misty. "Your fate is split. It's unclear. Both are full of sorrow and grief. One is bright and full of life—the realm is saved. But the other... streets all around Zemlja are running red with blood. There is no Light-Bringer—" She blinked rapidly, the misty look in her eyes disappearing. "That has... that has never happened before."

"Is Matias okay?" Cal asked.

"I don't know," Maria muttered, "because I can't see him anymore."

"What do you mean? What was his fate the last time you saw him?"

"I can't see the captain anymore," said Maria, "but the last time I saw him, he was fated to die in the upcoming war."

Cal sat back.

"I apologize," said Maria.

Cal waved a hand. "It's fine, Maria. Why did you want me here?"

"I've taken it upon myself to tell you the council's verdict on whether or not they will hear your case out," Maria said solemnly. "To answer your question, your father sent a messenger ahead pleading your case."

"And? What did they say?"

Maria laced her fingers together. "Your Highness, Krigere has a bloody history with your family—the House of Fire. Due to this history and the lack of training and control you have over your magic, they won't hear you out."

"Unless?"

"They would like you to train with your father and brother until the Everlight is confident about your control over your light and fire."

You're father and brother.

"Is there anything else I need to know?" asked Cal.

"That will me all, Your Highness. You may go see the captain now."

Cal stood up and started to leave. Her hand was on the door handle when Maria's voice rang out.

"Spend as much time with your loved ones as you can. You don't always know how much time left with them you have."

She opened the door and stepped into the hall. Her brows furrowed as she saw Lucas and Akaljot.

"Lucas, is he—" she started.

"He's okay," he said. "Matias, his... his fever is gone. He's been cured."