Eighteen

Lucas inched his way down the steps half an hour later. He moved slowly and held his side, careful so as to not tear his stitches.

"I swear that that boy of mine is too stubborn for his own good," Akaljot grumbled under his breath.

"It runs in the family," Cal hissed, grinning mischievously up at her father.

Akaljot looked at her out of the corner of his eye.

"Don't we have a wedding to get to?" asked Lucas.

"Indeed. Shall we?"

They loved as quickly as Lucas would go. By the time they made it to the city centre and the council halls, Luna was already waiting for them.

Her hair was braided back and her cheeks were flushed from the cold. She was wearing a royal blue and silver tunic, grey pants, black boots, and a black and silver cloak.

"How long have you been waiting for us?" Cal asked her.

Luna shrugged. "Not long. Are you ready to get married?"

Cal looked up at Matias. "I am."

All six of them entered the large stone building and wandered the corridors until they reached Maria's study. Cal knocked on the door and bit her lip.

"Enter," said Maria from within.

Cal opened the door and stepped inside. "Are you ready?"

Maria smirked. "I think that the question is are you ready, Calista Bjorndottir?"

Cal took a deep breath. "I am."

Her smirk turned into a grin. "Come on in."

Matias stood in front of her bureau, a smile on her face. Cal and Matias stood in front of Maria.

"We are gathered here today to witness the marriage of Princess Calista Pyro-Bjorndottir and Lord Matias Gomez. Dahlia brought you two together, and when Javareya takes you do you part. Now, if you two will face each other."

Cal and Matias turned to face each other.

Matias took her hands in his and took a deep breath. "I know that even in our most difficult times, if I extend my hand in the darkness, I will always find yours, ready to walk with me until we find the light at the end of the tunnel. You are my strength; the gust of joy that picks me up when I am at my lowest. With you, I have found love, and I never want to let you go. My respect, care, love, and loyalty will always be for you and only you. I love you, Calista Aelina Pyro-Bjorndottir. I love you so much, my best friend, the love of my life."

Cal fought to hold back her tears. "On this auspicious day, I promise to hold your hand and walk with you along the path that Dahlia has planned for us. For better, for worse, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, until death do us part. I promise to never leave your side and love you until my last breath. As we stand here today, in front of our friends and loved ones, I pledge my undying love and dedication to you, and know that I have found in you the man with which I intend to spend the rest of my life. You are my best friend, my confidant, and my love. Together, we shelter each other from the chaos of Zemlja and create a place of peace. In you, I find all joy and all comfort. You are my anchor, Matias Durand Gomez."

"Is there anyone here who objects to this marriage?" asked Maria. "Speak now, or forever hold your peace."

Cal anxiously looked around at their small group of loved ones. None of them objected. Luna stood with Lance, her arm looped through his. Lucas leaned on Akaljot, the two of them smiling in encouragement.

"Excellent. By the power vested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the princess."

Cal threw her arms around Matias's neck, his hands strong and steady on her waist. His mouth seized hers in a light yet passionate kiss. Everyone starred clapping, a few even whistles. They broke apart, their foreheads touching.

"Which House name did you go with?" asked Akaljot.

They looked at him.

"Well," Cal started, "to everyone in this room, we have the House name Pyro-Bjorndottir."

"To the rest of the world, we are the heirs of House Pyro," Matias finished.

Luna smiled, a tinge of sadness in her icy blue eyes. "Shall we go eat some breakfast in honour of the Light-Bringer and her newly-wedded husband?"

"Are you up to it, Lucas?" asked Akaljot.

Lucas shrugged. "Sure," he said tiredly.

Maria held up a hand. "Hold on. The last thing you two need to do is sign this marriage contract here and here."

Cal and Matias picked up the pens, dipped the tips into the inkwell, and signed their names.

"Go celebrate. You deserve it."

Cal looped her arm through Matias's and rested her head on his shoulder as they left. Lance and Luna walked ahead of them-no longer touching but still close to each other. They walked out into the street and started up it. The sound of horse hooves thundering on the cobblestones reached Cal's ears. Cal stopped and turned to look behind her in time to see a Lucinean messenger stop several feet away from them.

"Lucis has fallen!" he shouted as he dismounted. "Lucis has fallen! Lucis has-"

The messenger was cut off abruptly as a ball of dark violet and black flames hit him in the chest.