Sixteen

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" Andhera snarled, her Tenebrarum accent thick.

"It's important," he said calmly.

"I don't care," she retorted.

"They're looking for us," he said.

Andhera scoffed. "I wonder why."

"We need to strike now." He fastened his black mask over his face. "When will your men get here?"

"They'll get here within the next day or two. I received a pigeon from them this morning." He burst out laughing. "What are you crowing about?"

"You received a pigeon!" he said between fits of laughter. "That is too good!"

"You were expecting a crow or a raven because I'm Melania's daughter, weren't you?" she deadpanned.

He nodded, tears welling in his eyes from his laughter.

Andhera's rolled her eyes. "Of course you were."

The sound of footsteps reached his ears and sobered him up immediately. "Put your mask on," he barked. "We've got two people approaching."

Andhera did as she was told right as two men and a dog came into view. Not two men-two boys. The one farthest from them held a ball of light in his fair hand, his short red hair like fire. The one closest to them crouched down to scratch the chocolate lab behind the ears, his blonde bangs falling just below his brows.

He cursed as the dog stared directly at them.

"What is it, Jake?" asked the blonde boy.

Jake bared his teeth and growled at them. He dared a glance at Andhera. Her breath came out in small puffs and he could hear her heart beat rapidly.

"You told me that you were going out for a walk," she whispered, her voice and accent muffled by the mask. She raised a gloved hand, her corrupted magic dancing. "I'm not supposed to love you."

He threw out a hand. "Don't," he hissed.

The red-haired boy moved closer to the alley's mouth. His eyes were pine green-just like the Light-Bringer's. He reached into his dark blue cloak with his free hand slowly.

"Lucas, what do you see?" asked Jake's handler, his ocean blue eyes wide in fear.

Lucas didn't look away from them as he slowly slid a dagger from his belt. "Lance, you need to get ready to run with Jake," he breathed.

Lance stood up, staring into the alley. Lucas flicked his wrist and sent the ball of light soaring over their heads. The boys paled.

"Oh gods," said Lance.

"Look out!" shouted Lucas as Andhera flung her magic at the boys. They ducked behind either building. "Run, Lance! Get out of here!"

"You leave. I can handle Lucas," he barked at Andhera.

"I know that voice," said Lucas.

Lucas rounded the corner to face him. Her charged the boy. Lucas raised a hand and summoned a ball of light, blinding him and causing him to skid to a snowy halt.

"For the Light-Bringer!"

His face snapped to the side and the sunlight went out. Lucas tried to slash him with the knife, but he was too fast for the boy. Lucas grunted as he was slammed up against the brick wall. He gripped the hand that held the knife and bashed it against the wall until Lucas let go. Lucas got his feet between them and kicked him away. His back hit the wall on the other side. Lucas took off running. In the blink of an eye, he caught up and hooked his arm around Lucas's neck and plunged the knife into the boy's side.

Lucas screamed. "Please. My sister is getting married tomorrow." He twisted the knife, causing Lucas to groan in agony.

"I'm going to have a lot of fun with you, little boy," he purred. "Maybe I will give your sister your emancipated corpse as a wedding gift."

Lucas threw his head back. The back of his head made a loud crack against the mask. He let go of the boy, his teeth singing from the impact and trying to regain his footing. He felt Lucas grab at him and was pulled over the boy's shoulder. He flew a few feet, landed on the cobblestones, and rolled to a stop.

The cold from the snow and the air stung his face.

Oh no. His mask had come off.

The snow crunched as he heard Lucas stumble away, screaming for help. He got to his feet.

Don't, he thought. Bide your time.

Without another word, he ran off in the other direction.