6| Toxicity

"He was aiming at me, and Samantha saved my life

"He was aiming at me, and Samantha saved my life." Ray continued walking toward the bed.

Jennifer stared at Sam with wide eyes. "Why would you act so recklessly?" She glanced at Richard. "Like him," she whispered.

Her parents shared strange, knowing looks. The view seemed too familiar for Sam. They would have silent conversations using purely facial expressions once in a while. That for Sam usually felt awkward, but she admired them for not needing to talk and still understanding each other perfectly. Ray came closer and occupied the chair while her parents had no talk, talk. Sam felt unsure about how to answer her mother's question or if she should answer at all.

Before Sam could decide what to say, the room door opened, revealing a young man wearing a white lab coat on scrubs. "Good morning." His voice seemed deep but cheerful and full of energy. "So many visitors," he laughed, scanning people in the room. His green eyes landed on Ray and he lightly nodded to him. "I'm Doctor Jackson, but you can call me Neal. I'm the one who operated on your daughter's shoulder." He applied to Samantha's parents.

"Yes," Richard said, stepping toward the doctor. "The nurse said you left before we could talk to you last night, and she also said you will come later."

"I came early to check on Miss Morris, and I would like to stay alone with her." He stepped closer to the bed. "If you don't mind." He put a white paper cup on the side table.

"Sure," Jennifer agreed, glancing at her husband. "Come on, Richard, we can wait outside." She linked her arm with his and they moved toward the door.

"You too, Ray." The doctor glanced at Raymond. "It won't take long."

Ray stood up and kissed Sam's forehead. "I will be right back, love."

Samantha nodded at his words. The doctor seemed formal with her parents but appeared very familiar with Raymond. She looked at the doctor after Ray left. He seemed young, too young to be a doctor, she thought. His light brown hair seemed well kept alongside his short boxed beard.

"Can you sit down for me?" he asked.

"Yes," Sam sat down, her feet dangling just above the floor. "Can I take a shower?" she asked as the doctor moved closer.

"You can, of course," he said, rubbing his hands together. "Try not to move your hand too much." He untied the knots in her hospital gown.

"How long will I wear the cast?" She held the gown in place with her other hand.

"Difficult to say for sure." He unclasped the cloth splint. "Hold your arm in this position, while I look at the wound." He instructed.

Sam did as she was told. It seemed her hand weighed so much more and the pain spread further. Sam didn't look at her wound as it felt too challenging to concentrate on anything else besides holding her hand in place. The doctor's hands felt cool on her shoulder as he removed the dressing and pressed just outside the sutures.