Taking the Plunge

"Actually, I'm only Level 3!"

I interrupted him and took out my Adventurer's Guild membership card to show him.

"Sorry I lied, I'm not Level 4 at all. What I said earlier about losing my card was also a lie to fool Eleanora, afraid of being found out."

I came clean with everything, even though he probably couldn't see my expression in the dark. Still, I turned my head in embarrassment.

"It really is Level 3!"

Alfreed managed to barely make out the level number on the card with the faint light coming through the window. He seemed shocked and couldn't believe it.

"Angels should at least be Level 4. And Blanche also said you definitely have four wings."

"Is it because of your amnesia?"

Since Adrian had told him about my amnesia before, he quickly made the connection.

"Yes. Other than Purification, I don't know any light magic or combat skills."

I wouldn't deny the amnesia. What I said was mostly true anyway.

"I see, so that's what happened..."

Alfreed seemed lost in thought as he returned my card. Then he asked, puzzled,

"Then why were you so adamant to come clean with me?"

"I wouldn't have been able to keep it from everyone forever!"

Images of Eleanora and Hayden looking at me with hopeful eyes flashed through my mind. I suddenly felt awful inside. They were destined to be disappointed. I'm only Level 3 after all, truly weak.

Rather than have everyone find out the truth later and scorn me for it, I might as well take a gamble now while there's still a chance for forgiveness.

"Besides, we currently have no other way to escape the city. If we don't figure something out soon, we might end up stuck here until we die of starvation."

I laid out all the arguments I had already prepared.

"Are you really going to do this?"

Seeing me so determined, and with so many good reasons too, it seemed I had finally managed to persuade him from his tone.

"Yes." I nodded firmly. After considering this for so long, there's no way I would back out at the last moment.

"Alright then. I will announce this to everyone tomorrow."

Sighing, Alfreed probably also realized we had no other options left. Then he told me to rest first.

"Make sure you are well prepared before taking action. I will agree if you decide to postpone or cancel the plan at any time."

He suddenly remembered to remind me as I went upstairs.

"Thank you."

I looked back gratefully.

When I quietly snuck back into the attic, it seemed everyone was sleeping very soundly and didn't notice any movement. So I found an empty spot and lay down, soon falling asleep.

The next morning, Alfreed found an opportunity to call Eleanora, Hayden and the rest downstairs. He told everyone about my decision to test flying out of the city.

"So when are you starting?" Blanche asked.

"That depends on when Feliciana is ready. She can start anytime once she's prepared."

Alfreed looked at me, handing over all initiative to me.

"I think I'm ready to go anytime now."

There's really nothing for me to prepare. The only weapon I have is a sword which I basically can't even use when facing monsters.