Vol 3/Chapter 51: Hitting Walls Everywhere

However, when I arrived excitedly in front of the announcement board, I was caught off guard and dealt a devastating blow.

"First Place: Cloud Top Pick restaurant in the shopping street - 1 free meal voucher, 3 20% off vouchers."

"Second Place: 2 20% off vouchers for Cloud Top Pick in the shopping street."

"Third Place: 1 20% off voucher for Cloud Top Pick in the shopping street."

Damn it! Is this a magic competition sponsored by that "Cloud Top Pick" restaurant? Their advertising is so shameless!

Compare that to the prizes for the martial arts competition next door:

"First Place: A customized 'Holy Sword' weapon from 'Winner's Eye' weapon store in the shopping street."

"Second Place: A set of enchanted armour from 'Proper Miss' equipment store in the shopping street."

"Third Place: A magic staff from 'Sanctum' weapon store in the shopping street."

Alright...now I understand why there are so many contestants willing to risk injury. These prizes are on completely different levels, not even comparable.

No wonder the magic competition is so unpopular! The competition itself is boring, and the lame prizes, it's a miracle they even got participants.

As for the prizes in other events, needless to say, each one is better than the last. Only the one I'm competing in looks utterly destitute.

With conflicted feelings, I returned to my room. Suddenly, I don't feel as enthusiastic about winging it in this competition. Good thing my original intention wasn't for the prizes, otherwise I'd want to withdraw on the spot.

But since I already decided to compete, I have to give it my all. I cheered myself up and looked through the magic books, deciding to pick the most powerful spell and ask Aetina to demonstrate it for me.

"Let's go with this Holy Cross Slash!"

After much deliberation, I finally made up my mind. The advanced magic book only contained two spells, and the other one was a defensive spell called "Sanctum of Light".

Based on the competition rules I know, defensive magic is useless. So this "Holy Cross Slash" is the only one I can try.

Although the incantations for advanced magic are very long, even challenging for Aetina, and I probably can't master it in such a short time, I still have to try for the competition.

As for worrying about troubling Aetina, I'm not concerned at all. She was the one who wanted me to compete anyway, who else should I ask for help?

Alright, I admit I'm a little spiteful. But Aetina was also not very nice, I didn't forget the name of her weapon store...

She strongly encouraged me to join the magic competition, yet secretly sponsored the martial arts competition. Did she think I wouldn't notice?

Since it was almost time for class, I decided to ask her to demonstrate this advanced magic during the lesson.

But when I arrived at the combat arena, our agreed-upon location, I only saw Cyra standing there alone, no Nicola or Aetina.

"What's going on here? I understand Nicola, but Aetina should not be late this long as the teacher right?"

I looked at the time, it was already several minutes past the scheduled time, yet I didn't even see their shadows.

"She just came by earlier, and said she has to serve as a temporary referee for the competition, so today's class is cancelled."