Perspective

"Eighty-four years as of last week. I still have a few good summers left, but my children and grandchildren all want me home for them. Bells know what I will do with myself. And here you are just starting. Word does travel here and I hear you are Herallas' great granddaughter?

"Yes. Violet," I nodded, knowing my predecessor had spent her entire life after schooling here. "Though, I am sure you were also told that I tested as an Uncertain."

"Mhm. But this does not matter. We have had many Uncertains and even those without magic here. Just no humans for their own safety."

"Oh? I would think we would be of little use."

"You underestimate what someone can accomplish when they are believed in. Now, let me hear these rumors you have rumbling above your head like a rain cloud. I cannot keep up with them and how quickly people make them up these days. Is it still that Kinnut has a hole filled with teeth in his abdomen?"

I gawped. "Er, no. That would be...terrifying."

"I would not put it past his abilities to transform, but he has never done that to my knowledge. And he does not eat children either."

That time I did chuckle. "Also no." I paused, swallowing. "At a previous Testing ceremony, I witnessed...he...There was a student and..." I made a motion with my hands, spreading my fingers outward to indicate the shattering of a body, unable to put it into words.

"Ah, yes, that was unfortunate. The boy was a member of a group attempting to overthrow His Majesty for some time."

"But, he killed him. Just like that. There was no trial, no justice...just death."

"He was a Soul Wright?"

"Yes. Kinnut kills them all."

Sarah scoffed. "I assure you, Clia, that is not the case. That boy, yes. Some, yes. His Majesty feels their intentions, knows what they will do. What do you think an untrained Soul Wright could do with so much hate directed at a person? Who is responsible to make sure that he did not inadvertently destroy onlookers?"

I squirmed. "Killing is not the only way."

"No, it is not," she agreed. "But at times, it is the best way, especially to preserve many other lives."

Clearing my throat, I switched topics, knowing that she would not be convinced of my own opinions. "He collects weapons and artifacts of destruction that he would unleash if challenged."

"This is true. He does have a collection, but not to use in any form. One thing you will learn as his assistant, if you remain, is that he has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. Teams return with artifacts that are often horrendously dangerous, imbued with evil, cursed, poisonous, or explosive. Better that they are dismantled or destroyed when possible and locked away from public access if not."

That could be the case. Or Kinnut just had no cause to use them in our recent history. "He absorbs the life force of others to remain immortal."

This gave her pause and I waited patiently for some explanation. "I am not a Soul Wright. I do not understand the inner workings of such an ability or how the Bells provide their magic, however, I do know that previously designated Soul Wrights enjoy the lifespan of most fae. I have never asked His Majesty myself about that topic, but would assume it is the Bells' intention."

Her faith in him was admirable and she was certainly loyal, but she had slipped and admitted that the other Soul Wrights were something of the past. "If he does not kill the students who Test as Wrights, what happens to them?"

"His Majesty performs his own test of a sort, to see if the students are true and good. If so, I believe they are bound and join the Teams."

"Bound?"