VIII. Swooning Schemes

Florence stood stiffly in one corner while the doctor checked Lucy's pulse. Her cousin threw her a quiet look of concern and she swallowed, clearing her throat.

"She was a little feverish this morning," she told the doctor.

The old man only nodded.

"And she's too weak to walk around the room."

Again, he just nodded.

"She also had trouble breathing." At that, Lucy widened her eyes at her. "I'm afraid that if she's exposed outside or to more people, she'd catch something."

"Hmm."

She gritted her teeth. The man asked Lucy to sit on the bed. When she opened her mouth to speak again, her cousin threw her a look of warning. Enough. Florence clamped her lips, fingers crossed behind her.

When Doctor St. Vincent finally stood, she walked closer. "Well?" she asked.

He looked around. "This room is too dark. She should have more sunlight."

"It's nighttime."

"She needs to have sunlight."

"She has ample in the mornings."

"She needs to exercise."

"But I just told you—"

"Outside," he interjected. "She's pale, not because she's sick. She is because she has been confined in this room for too long."

"Then I can go outside now?" Lucy asked, rather too eagerly. When Florence threw her a look, she coughed. "I can go out?" She coughed again.

"Of course!" Doctor St. Vincent said, voice booming. "You'll live. I see no signs of infection."

"But—"

He turned to Florence, shaking his head, stopping her next words. "No buts. She's well enough to go outside." He frowned when the two ladies shared a look. "Don't you trust me?"

"I'm sorry, doctor, but we don't know you. You must understand."

"I came from a family of doctors, dear. I had seen far worse than the Grand Princess' case, which I believe is nothing but a recovering flu. She will fare better by returning to usual activities. She should go out when the weather permits. Nature is the best healer."

Florence sighed and slowly nodded. "Very well. If you say so, Doctor."

The old man simply chuckled with amusement and said, "I'll be downstairs."

When they were alone again, Florence rushed to Lucy. "We'll need a plan."

"And the plan is for me to get out in the sun. I'll die if I stay another day in this room."

She opened her mouth, then stopped herself. Lucy was right. They couldn't postpone this any longer.

"Now, tell me," Lucy said, taking her hand. "If the king comes to see me, will I be Lucy or will I be Florence?"

Her shoulder lifted in a shrug of defiance. The man tricked her again. "That depends on whether he is Emory or Daniel."

***

"Well?" Emory asked St. Vincent.

The old man simply chuckled as he sank into a winged chair. "Perfect. I've always wanted to play doctor. I could have impersonated my son, but I thought better of it. Being obnoxious is not in my blood."

"And the Grand Princess?"

"She's well. It doesn't have to take a doctor to know that. I believe the cousin is overly concerned. I'm more fretful for her, to be honest. Her excessive concern for the princess may be hindering her recovery."