XI. Once There Was a Princess

She cursed Henry multiple times as she fought the icy wind and snow. She had put on two layers of coat, which helped with the cold, but not with her speed. The snow had risen to ankle level, drenching her leather boots. She looked ahead. There was not much visibility, but she could sight the top of the tree house.

Her breath clouding the air in front of her, she finally stopped and looked around, holding the gaslight higher. The cottage was dark and quiet.

No need to bother the Fitzwilliams.

As she scanned the snow-covered ground, she couldn't help but growl Henry's name again. She told him to take the box up to the tree house once they were done with the ladder. But then, of course, he forgot. He told her so after supper. He said he'd go back the next morning. Then the storm came.

And here she was, hoping the snow had not yet ruined everything in the box.

"We can't trust men with anything, can we?" she grumbled, walking over to the tree stump. And there it was, the top covered in snow.

Should she return to the manor without the gaslight? Or should she bring the box to the tree house and return to the manor with the gaslight?

***

The storm had not completely mellowed, but it died down to a tolerable degree. The tree house immediately caught his eye, and he let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the flickering yellow light inside.

He trudged through the thick snow. "Lucy!" he shouted over the sound of the storm. "Lucy!"

In no time, her tiny head popped out of the small window. At first, she was surprised, then her face registered alarm. "Did something happen? Is it my cousin?"

"Something happened, but it's not Florence."

"Then what happened?"

"Get down here and I'll show you what will happen."

Finally recognizing the anger in his voice, she grinned nervously. "Did you look for me? Why?"

"To kill you," he growled out. "Come down this very instant."

"Why would I when you'll kill me?"

"Lucy, I'm warning you. The storm may pick up again."

"I'll take my chances up here." Then she disappeared.

Gritting his teeth, Emory reached for the rope ladder and climbed. He was already fuming as he scrawled into the tree house, pulling the door open with force because she was trying to keep it closed. "You..." he said through his teeth, "Are in big trouble."

She pushed herself to one corner. "And why is that, my lord?"

"Are you stupid? Sneaking out in the middle of a bloody storm?"

"First, I had a good reason. Second, I'm not stupid. I was prepared. I put on two coats."

"Probably the only good decision you made thus far."

"I tend to make good decisions, my lord, and rarely do they end up badly." She swallowed, perhaps because he looked like a crawling madman. But as she covered it with a scowl, asking, "Do you always think everyone's stupid apart from you?"

As she talked, he looked around the tiny space. Emory froze because he was transported back in time.

"Well? Don't you also think it stupid to go out and search for the stupid girl who snuck out of the manor?" He heard her, but he didn't find the need to answer. Her beautiful eyes were golden from the gaslight, glinting with a certain kind of power and confidence her cousin lacked.