XIV. The Princess Who Swims

The road back to Birchfield was more difficult by the time they said goodbye to the Davidsons. He was leading her back to the manor, which could mean a lot of things.

Would they to wait for better weather? Or, by some miracle, had he changed his mind?

From her horse, she stole him a glance. He didn't look angry. In fact, he looked calm. And that might not be a good sign, too.

They barely had a conversation. He'd warn her about potential danger on the road, or stop to help her navigate a tricky path, but nothing more. It was as if last night was just a dream.

When they reached Birchfield, and as Lucy embraced her with relief, Marius immediately took Emory to the side. Henry soon emerged and told his cousin, "She's in the study."

"Someone's here," Lucy told her. "She's been waiting for His Majesty."

"Who?"

"I don't know. Henry won't tell me."

Emory approached them, his face unreadable.

"You should rest," he told her before turning away to disappear with Henry in the study.

Lucy took her upstairs and helped her with a warm bath.

"Marius said we should stay here until the visitor is gone."

She stayed by the window, waiting. "Who could it be?"

Lucy shrugged. "She just arrived and demanded for His Majesty. She never left the study waiting for him."

They both jumped and pressed their noses against the window when a woman wrapped in green cloak walked out into the courtyard. She paused a while to talk to Marius, then, without warning, looked up. Florence and Lucy jumped back in alarm. They only returned to the window as they heard the woman's horse ride away.

"Who is that woman?"

"I don't know, Lucy," she said, watching the green-cloaked figure disappear down the road.

***

"Do you reckon they've always known you were coming here?" Henry asked.

"It's their job to always know," he murmured, unbothered.

Henry watched him finish his drink. "Are you sure about this?"

"We have no choice. They won't let me leave Birchfield."

"How many guards for the villa in Coulway?"

"As many as the Clover can provide without raising curiosity."

A knowing smile played on Henry's lips. "And for how long will the Grand Princess be staying there?"

Emory could not give a direct answer. "Until I say so." Henry chuckled, and he frowned. "Why are you laughing?"

His cousin shook his head. "Everything is always definite with you. This is not like you at all."

He sighed and took off his coat. "I can be unpredictable, too, cousin."

They walked out of the study and before he reached the staircase, Florence had already bounded down the stairs and jumped in front of him, looking too serious.

"What's the matter?"

"We have to talk," she said, whirling around. He blinked at Henry, who just shrugged and disappeared into the parlor.

He followed Florence to the chicken coop. "We can talk in the study."

"I prefer the outdoors," she said, hands on her hips. He assessed her stance with confusion. She looked stern, her lips pursed. It didn't help that her hair was in disarray, which told him she had been waiting for a confrontation.