XXIV. Good Night

Emory did not expect her to greet him with a question. "Why are you here?"

He waited until she settled beside him and the carriage door closed. "You don't know why I'm here."

She smiled, but it was didn't reach her eyes. "Tell me why you're here, then."

He sighed. "I'm here to tell you we can finally announce our engagement soon."

She sighed, then groaned. "Why couldn't it have been much earlier?"

"Why? What happened?"

Florence shook her head. "None I cannot handle," she said, and before he could ask more, she broke into a bright smile. "Surely you have another reason to see me." She looped her arm around his. "Tell me." She tilted her head to peer at his face.

"It never crossed your mind, did it?"

"What?" she laughingly asked.

Emory shifted in his seat, suddenly embarrassed. "I can't believe you forgot."

"What is it?" she asked, shaking his arm. "Tell me!"

Rolling his eyes, he said, "Two months ago tonight—on the balcony in Winfield." He couldn't quite tell her directly.

But when she slowly nodded her head, looking baffled, saying, "Yes?" he couldn't help but scowl.

"You know what happened there."

"Of course. How could I forget?" she asked, face flushing. "You gave me a gift, and you told me I'll be your queen."

"That's it, then."

Her brows dipped into a frown. "What's it?"

He pinched his nose and groaned. "God, this is embarrassing."

"Emory, I don't really understand—"

"It's been two months, Lori, that's all I'm saying."

She chuckled, looking completely lost.

He let out an exasperated breath. "Never mind. I think you're just laughing at how ridiculous I am at this point."

"I swear I'm not! Tell me. Please."

"We're on a milestone."

Her face suddenly lit up. "We're on a milestone," she repeated with wonder. "That's why you're here. We're celebrating it."

"I'm no longer in the mood," he said with a sigh.

He felt her laughter as she pressed a kiss on his cheek. "You are too sweet." Laying her head on his shoulder, she murmured, "Being with you makes me forget. Have I told you that?"

Planting a kiss on her head, he pulled her closer. "What do you want to do tonight? And don't say you want to swim in the fountain. I'm not up for that."

Her laughter filled his otherwise boring carriage. "Can we go for a ride around the town? I want to see it with you."

He could tell she was bothered as she watched the Coulway night scene through the window. Her gaze was distant, and it took her a while to realize he called her name.

But before he could ask, she smiled at him and said, "Do you know that the Artemis has rooms named after goddesses?"

"Yes, but I forgot."

"Of course, you did, you forgetful man." She told him about Hestia, and Demeter, and Aphrodite, and Athena and Eris.

"A room of chaos."

"Yes. It is where we let everything out. Every frustration, anger, disappointment... Anything we cannot display to the ever graceful society."

"Have you used it?"