XXX. Fairy Tales

Florence knew close to nothing about Elene Lennox, Grand Lady of Aubigny. The woman was probably ten years older. The woman was from Aubigny, which was at the other end of Gavaria, and five weeks away from Oshana where the imperial palace was located.

She only met the woman twice. The first was yesterday.

"I'm certain I'm the last person you wish to see today," the woman said. Her voice was soft, but it had a certain power in it, laced with pride and confidence. "And I know you are hesitant about this marriage."

"Hesitant, my lady, is too weak a word," Florence said, lifting her chin from where she sat. She knew she must look pathetic, her eyes swollen from all the crying, her dress still the same from yesterday.

Elene patiently smiled, hands folded on her lap. Such great patience. Such grace. But how much of it was real, Florence wondered. How long before this woman would put her foot down and hold Florence in her place as third wife?

"They said you can be quite willful and proud," the woman said. "But I believe you will be a great addition to the family."

Florence nearly retched at the word. "If that's what you'd call it—family." She shrugged, letting out a long sigh. "Well, I suppose they also told you I am quite challenging? If this," she said, waving her arm around the room, "and the reason we're here doesn't tell you as much, I suppose you'll soon find out." She finished it by crossing one leg over the other, which was something one should never do in front of a titled woman in Gavaria. "I will play as your husband's trophy because I have no choice, but I will never act as his wife."

"I don't understand, Princess, why you're against our culture."

"Oh, you're wrong. I respect our culture. I just don't understand why I have to be forced into it."

"You should not feel forced. You should embrace it."

Florence scoffed. Good Lord. Was this woman hearing herself?

"There is nothing wrong with being a third wife."

"Will I also have to tell the same thing to the fourth wife? The fifth? The sixth?"

Elene's smile did not waver. "If your intention is to insult, it is not coming through. Can't you see the brighter side of things? There is more love in the family."

"And you truly think he loves you?" Elene did not answer. Her smile remained, but Florence saw her eyes waver ever so slightly. "Do you think all the women we send away to marry men they barely know feel this love you talk about?" At her question, Elene's smile froze. Florence rolled her eyes and scoffed. "I have a mother, Lady Elene. Everyone in Gavaria who has one knows we're only fooling ourselves. They own us. They make us think that it's our duty to welcome them into our beds. With all due respect, that's not my definition of love."

"That's our reality." Elene's voice had changed. It rose a notch, anger blazing in her eyes as she held Florence's gaze. "Wake up, Grand Princess. You may be in Sutherland, but you will always be Gavarian. You should be lucky you know who you're marrying into. Many others don't. They just disappear."

Florence shrugged. "Well, aren't they lucky?"

To her surprise, Elene jumped to her feet, face flushed, lips trembling. "It's true what they say. You're a spoiled child." Nose flaring, the woman lifted her chin and looked down at Florence. "Grow up, Princess. The world doesn't revolve around you."

***

That night, Florence stood in front of the window, lips pursed. Her thoughts kept jumping around her mother, Elene Lennox, and Emory.