Token of Friendship

Amara received enough of a tongue lashing from Celeste that her parents didn't bother to express their disappointment that she never met the famous Finnick Odair

What Amara really wanted was to see him again.

She couldn't remember the last time she had a conversation where someone didn't want something from her.

Which was why she woke up that morning before anyone else did and left their apartment. She didn't bother to wait for the stylist because she knew no one would see her. The Capitol elite wouldn't wake up for hours.

She waltzed through the city as the morning vendors were beginning to open their shops. She walked by a flower shop just in time for the sign to go from "closed" to "open" and she paused.

How does a normal person make friends?

She walked into the shop with a grin on her face. The shop owner looked up.

"How can I help you?" he asked. He was an older man with thinning gray hair and was dressed in all blue.

"I'm looking for a flower to give to a new friend," she admitted. The man nodded and walked around the counter to pick up a singular red rose.

"A whole bouquet might be overkill," he said. She took the flower and studied it. It was very pretty.

"How much?" she asked happily.

She was practically skipping up the street when she left. She was going to make a friend.

By the time she reached the victors' apartments, the world was only just starting to wake up. She walked into the lobby of the tribute center and waltzed into the elevator. There didn't seem to be anyone around so she pressed the button for the fourth floor and waited.

She had never been in here. She never had a reason, so she watched as she rose through the building. The higher she went, the more she was able to appreciate the architecture.

It was a beautifully designed building, and it was fascinating that there were no people. While she was sure there were people who worked here when the tributes weren't training, they must have lazy mornings.

Besides, only the fourth floor should have been active.

On cue, the doors slid open to reveal a stunning apartment.

It looked like it was designed like the beach. Everything was blue and white, and there were shells on the walls. There was a living area directly to her left with a TV, chairs, and a couch with a blanket loosely draped across it. To her right was a pristine kitchen. There was a white marble counter with stools pressed against it, and an adjacent dining room with a long table.

Amara encountered her first problem very quickly. There were four bedrooms. She assumed there were two for mentors and two for each of the tributes that came and went.

She had no idea which one was Finnick's.

She stood there studying the doors for an absurd amount of time.

There was no difference between any of them.

Somewhere in between standing in the middle of the doorway and the door opening, she realized what she had done.

She had technically just broken into their apartment.

She was standing in their living room while everyone was asleep completely uninvited. If she woke up and he was standing outside her bedroom, she would hit him with a frying pan.

She swiveled around to leave just as fast as she came, but it was too late.

One of the doors cracked open and an old woman stepped out.

Amara cursed herself for forgetting the woman's name. She knew she mentored Finnick, but that's as far as the connection went. The woman jolted back, surprised to see her standing there.

"Well, hello," she said quietly. Amara began turning where she stood.

"Um...hi. I was.. um..."

The woman smiled, her face softening at the girl in front of her.

"You're Amara," she said, and Amara sighed in relief. At least the woman wasn't assuming she was a super-fan breaking in to stalk them.

"Yes," she said, twiddling with the flower in her hand. She felt so stupid. "I talked with Finnick last night at the party..."

What was she doing. The woman, however, seemed to sense her awkwardness, and saved her.

"I'm surprised he didn't mention it. Our escort laid into him last night when she thought he hadn't met you," she said.

Amara chuckled, suddenly feeling slightly more at ease.

"I kind of yanked him under a table so I could meet him on my own terms," she admitted. The woman laughed.

"I never expected that," she said. "I'm Mags. I'm Finnick's mentor."

Amara held out a hand, and Mags took it gently, shaking it.

"Very nice to meet you," she said. "I was just coming by to say hi. I..."

"You're a fan?" Mags asked politely, and Amara laughed for a second before realizing that sounded room.

"No, actually. Just in need of a friend."

Mags gave her a soft smile. It was almost sad.

Amara needed to get out of there as fast as she could. She held out the rose.

"Can you give this to him?" she asked. "I'm realizing I just totally broke into your apartment, so I'm going to go."

Mags took the flower with a nod.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay for breakfast? We're leaving soon so this would be the last time to see him before the next games."

Amara only nodded. She needed to get out of there.

Mags seemed to sense her embarrassment and let her go without a fight this time.

"It was nice to meet you," she said before backing into the elevator, suddenly grateful that no one else had used it since she arrived when the doors opened immediately.

Mags waved as the doors closed.

She watched as the elevator disappeared. Finnick could use a friend like her.

**

An hour later when Finnick strolled out of his room, Mags handed him a plate of eggs and bacon and a red rose.

"Thanks, Mags," he smiled as he took the food. Mags leaned on the counter as he began to eat. He picked up the rose. "What's this?"

She smirked.

"Amara dropped it off this morning," she said casually. She grinned when Finnick choked on his eggs.

"She was here?" He asked, and Mags only nodded with a smile.

"Sweet girl. It's a token of friendship," she said. Finnick picked up the flower and studied it. Mags watched him go slightly red as he studied it.

"Alright, hon, eat quickly. We're leaving for the train in an hour."

Finnick continued to smile all the way to the train. When Iris asked how his morning was going, he didn't say anything. His flower was carefully tucked away in his pocket. He had five months to protect it before seeing her again.

For now, it was just between the two of them.