A Warning From a Friend

Jade had never seen Amara so tense

Jade had never seen Amara so tense. She was sitting on the edge of the couch, her hands tightly gripping the pillow so tightly that her knuckles were white. Jade and Tigris were on either side of her. Neither really knew why she was acting that way, but neither questioned it.

Caesar, with bright pink hair this year, was taking too long talking about the first three districts. In Amara's opinion, nothing was more important than finding out who the tributes from District Four were. Instead, he and Claudius were going on about the obvious strengths and weaknesses from the first six tributes.

"And then, we get to District Four," Claudius said as they pulled up the highlights of the reaping. The male and female tributes were smirking and waving at the audience, all of whom were cheering.

A name. She needed a name. She had no idea what Adrien looked like so she had no need for images. She needed a name.

"Last year, we were so disappointed about what happened to both Vixen and Devin. Clearly the odds were not in their favor. Perhaps things will be better this year. We were hopeful with a mentor like our beloved Finnick, but perhaps he's a better fighter than he is a teacher..."

A name. Any name. Please.

"It was disappointing," Caesar agreed, "but these two look like fighters. Hopefully they'll learn from the last tributes and not scorn the Capitol. After all, it was their sponsor refusal that got them killed."

"And something tells me that didn't come from Finnick," Claudius added on.

"No, I don't think so," Caesar agreed. "They thought that he could be ignored, and that was a grave error. After all, it was our generosity in that Capitol that helped him win. Hopefully, these two will learn from the mistakes made last year."

A scene of the two tributes entering the justice building played on screen.

"Well, let's hope the tributes from Four, a Miss Janera Quinn and Mr. Holden Holloway have better luck this year."

Amara flopped back on the couch, breathing a sigh of relief. It wasn't Adrien. He was safe for another year.

**

Finnick bumped into Cashmere when he was exiting the train. The young victor jumped, slightly started to see him, but she greeted him like an old friend nonetheless.

"Year two," she said, as the two walked side by side toward the Tribute Center. "Are you ready?"

Finnick nodded, more sure of himself this year than he had been last year. Besides, now he knew that he had another year to train Adrien before the real stress began.

"I'm feeling more optimistic this year," he said. "I taught both of my tributes all year, so they know and respect me. Now, it's about taking the training I've already been giving them and personalizing it-- what are you doing?"