Winning the Capitol

"Ladies and gentlemen! Your Master of Ceremonies, Caesar Flickerman!"

The crowd began to roar in delight when Caesar walked out on stage and waved at them. He bowed and blew kisses, laughing and pointing to people he knew.

Finnick watched from backstage. Corinne and Adrien were in their dressing rooms with the stylists, and Mags was giving them both last minute advice. Finnick was taking the moment to give them space.  before they went on.

Amara, Finnick, and Adrien had a plan. They were going to win over the hearts of everyone in that crowd.

The tributes from One, Two, and Three all had excellent mentors. They executed their interviews with class and charm. When Corinne went up, Ezra stepped forward.

"I'm sorry about Adrien," he said quietly. Finnick glanced over at him, surprised Ezra had taken the time to learn Adrien's name. Finnick didn't have the luxury of learning everyone's names only to watch them die year after year. He had no idea how Haymitch and Seeder did it. They had mentored so many children to their deaths.

"Me too," he said. Ezra glanced over at him wearily.

"Do you have time to chat later tonight?" he asked. His voice shook slightly, and he was so nervous that Finnick picked up on it immediately.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, but Ezra just stared at him.

"Just meet me on the roof before dawn," he said quietly before stepping away from Finnick to talk to his tributes.

Finnick watched him for a moment before he heard Caesar announce Adrien's name.

"Adrien," Caesar grinned as Adrien walked out. He waved to the crowd and gave them his most charming smile. Then, he turned to Caesar and shook his hand with one strong shake. Caesar looked down at their hands, impressed, and gestured for Adrien to take a seat.

"Caesar," Adrien drew out the name. "I must admit that I've been watching your show for years, but there's nothing better than being on it."

"You certainly went to great lengths to be here," Caesar said with a laugh. Adrien put his hands up in surrender.

"I couldn't resist the temptation," he said. Caesar laughed again.

"Don't stop," Caesar said, "flattery will get you everywhere." This time it was Adrien that laughed. "Adrien, we are thrilled to have you here in the Capitol. Tell us: how do you like it so far?"

"It's been incredible," he said. "You have the softest sheets I've ever laid on."

Caesar glanced at the crowd, surprised. "We have soft sheets." They all laughed, and Adrien nodded along.

"You do!" He insisted. "I feel like I'm sleeping in cotton candy."

"Well I hope it doesn't taste like cotton candy or we'll run out of bedding."