- chapter one

I saw you in the back of my show last night—
standing underneath the exit sign...

A YOUTUBE beat played through a speaker, Kailani and her group of friends sitting around in a circle with smiles on their faces

Anyone around them could hear the loud laughter from all of them, but they didn't bother trying to be any quieter.

Loren drummed her fingers on the metal part of the chair she sat on, "what she said?!" she yelled, laughing as Alaina continued to freestyle.

Alaina had recently went through a break up. for a while she was upset, and spent her time sitting quiet and missing him.. but now she was more mad, than upset.

she decided to make a 'diss track.'

Alaina swung her hands in front of her as she rapped, saying whatever came to her mind really. she was trying to rhyme, more than she was trying to make sense.

she began stuttering, and let out a laugh as she stopped rapping due to not knowing what else to say.

"why was that actually good?" Loren laughed, before her face falling serious as she glanced at Cee, who side eyed her.

"that was not good."

"you always hatin, bro." Loren smacked her lips, pushing the boys roughly, almost making him fall out of the chair he sat in.

"watch when i'm up on stage and you're in the crowd." Alaina shook her head, shrugging her shoulders.

Cee let out a laugh, "yeah, aight."

All four of their heads moved to the other side of the street, hearing loud music now playing from over there.

Quickly, they recognized the familiar songs being played and let out a groan.

They watched as the large group of boys danced around, grabbing onto each other and pushing each other around as they rapped along to their music.

"always trying to outdo somebody." Alaina rolled her eyes, making Kailani chuckle as she turned her head away from the group.

"nah, but— yall goin to their show?" Cee asked, leaning back in his chair as he specifically looked at Kailani.

Cee was still close friends with the group of guys across the street, even though the other three girls had drifted apart from them over the past few months.

Loren glanced at Alaina, before they also turned to Kailani.

Kailani glanced up, seeing all eyes were on her.

Her face scrunched, "me? no."

It was an answer they all expected. even though the girl was constantly near him, she refused to go anywhere she knew he would be.