Prologue

Cash 

Four and a half years ago...

"You're welcome, little bro." I smile, dropping the keys into the palm of his hand.

"Cash, what the hell is going on?" Cory asks, raising a skeptical brow. "This better not be what I think it is."

I laugh. He would never have accepted if I'd warned my brother that I was buying him a new pickup truck. That's why I have to surprise him. From the time we were kids, I promised him that once I signed my first professional hockey contract, I would buy him his dream truck. And it's already been six months since I signed my three-year, fifteen million-dollar deal with the Santa Anna Tornadoes.

"I don't make promises I can't keep, Cory. You know that." I pat him on the back.

Living in California and playing for the Tornadoes keeps me busy. I have limited time to visit my family and friends in Thompson, Newfoundland. It's almost a miracle the team has a whole weekend off. Finally, my chance to come home to Canada and honour my promise.

Besides, the rusty old car Cory's been driving since the day he turned sixteen is a piece of shit.

"You coming home for a visit is enough of a gift, Cash. You didn't have to do this..." His voice trails off, and his eyes become teary.

"I wouldn't have made it anywhere if it weren't for you." I grip his shoulders and lock my eyes with his to let him know I mean it.

I hear the sound of a door closing and the shuffling of feet, and I shift my gaze upward to see our mother walking down the stairs.

"Cash! Welcome home." She wraps her arms around my neck and kisses my cheek. "I'm so happy you arrived safe and sound. How was your flight?"

I kiss her forehead. "It was good, Ma."

"Is this thing outside?" Cory asks, dangling the keys in front of my face.

"What thing?" my mother asks innocently, but she gives me a knowing smile.

I called her from the airport last night before I boarded the red-eye. I gave her a heads-up about my arrival. I ended up caving and told her what I'd bought for Cory.

"Oh, you mean that shiny brand new white truck parked in the driveway?" she says.

"You knew!" Cory shouts, nudging her on the shoulder, and then he looks at me. "Cash, you are crazy!"

"Anything for my little bro. Besides, you haven't even seen it yet. Come on." I grab him by the arm and push open the screen door. He stops in mid-stride. I have to jerk my head back to see him frozen in place, gawking at his truck.

"Holy fuck," Cory breathes out.

"It's all yours, man," I tell him.

"Cash, this is too much. This truck is top-of-the-line. Leather seats and everything!" He shakes his head. "You worked hard your whole life to make it to the NHL. You shouldn't be spending your money on me. I can't accept it."

"I love you. You're my little brother." I hug him and pull open the driver-side door. "Come on. Hop in and check it out."

I look back at my mother, smiling, watching us from the front porch. Her wavy honey-blonde hair blows gently in the wind as she pulls her sweater tightly across her chest. "You like it, Cory?".

"Like it?" Cory puts the key in the ignition. "I love it!"

"Cash?...Cory?..." Daniela's familiar voice shouts from across the driveway.

Daniela is Cory's fiancé and our next-door neighbour. When Daniela and her mother relocated to Thompson and moved in next door, Cory was smitten with her. They were always just friends, but he finally grew enough balls to ask her on an actual date in the seventh grade. They've been together ever since.