Chapter 21

Quinn 

I wake to the feeling of lips pressed carefully to my forehead and force my eyes open. The sky directly above me isn't an illusion I've been imagining for the past month. Our bedroom is on the second floor of our traditional Boston two-story townhouse, and a skylight over the bed lets in the early morning sun. It curls across the footboards, bright but not yet warm. Along the far wall of our bedroom are two French doors Cash has left open to a small balcony outside. A warm breeze stirs through the room, carrying the sounds of the street below.

I turn my head, "Hey." My voice sounds like sandpaper rubbed across metal. His smile makes my chest do a fluttery, flipping thing. I still can't believe he's mine; this beautiful townhouse is our home.

The past month has been a dream come true. Even though hockey season is over and the playoffs have ended, Cash transitioned amazingly into our new life in Boston and onto his new team, the Boston Hackers. He's been attending his post-addiction recovery program three times a week, and he's been working with a personal hockey trainer during the off-season to improve his overall game. He's been very focused and determined; I am proud of him.

I'm happy to finish the first year of my MBA program at Harvard. I've secured an excellent summer marketing internship at Gemstone Press, a jewelry manufacturer in Boston. My online shop keeps me busy, and I've been able to support myself and pay for my education without relying on my father or trust fund.

Cash's legal divorce with Daniela was finalized last week. Cash told me he's been trying to contact her to ensure she's doing okay, but she hasn't answered his calls. In their settlement, she ended up keeping her condo in Las Vegas, and with her lawyer's help, she could secure a U.S. work Visa for an entire year. Hopefully, she's doing well, even though Cash no longer funds her shopping habits.

"I'm off to practice," he whispers. "A pot of coffee is on the stove."

I smile and give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

He runs a hand through my matted curls and down my bare backside. "See you around lunchtime."

"Don't forget Lyndsey and Louis are coming today."

This will be their first time visiting us in our new home in Boston. I'm super excited to have family here for an entire week. I haven't seen Lyndsey in quite some time, and even though I am now on speaking terms with my father, he still has yet to come and visit us.

"I didn't forget." Cash's eyes make the circuit of my face and down over my entire body, and he says, "I'll be home before their plane lands. I promise."

I nod and hold on to the hem of his t-shirt, needing him to linger just a second longer. "I've got a bunch of touristy things planned for the day. Including dinner at Kensington Fish Market."

Growly puppy sounds carry through the bedroom walls, breaking my and Cash's stare. We bought a Newfie puppy together a few weeks ago. We've been working hard at crate training her. She's been sleeping in the spare bedroom. Cash has been doing well with all this extra responsibility of owning a pet. On the other hand, I didn't realize how much I valued my sleep.

His laugh is profound, and he bends so it rumbles past my ear as he kisses my neck. "She's awake. And probably needs to go out for a pee."

I groan, covering my eyes with a pillow. "I'm so sleepy."

"What will you do if we ever have real babies?" He chuckles into another kiss, this one to my temple. "Bexley is our baby training."

And yes, we named her after Bexley, California, where we first met.

"Cool it, Brooks," I say, laughing. "Fur babies are the only babies we will have for a while."

When I let him go, he turned to pack the rest of his stuff for the day into his hockey duffle bag. I follow him out of the bedroom, freezing as I watch him let Bexley out of her crate from the spare bedroom. Her tail wags like crazy, and she paws at Cash's leg. He bends down, and she licks his face uncontrollably.