Chapter 22

Quinn 

The weekend comes crashing in with a summer storm and a sky full of heavy rain clouds and lighting sheets. I run beneath my umbrella with Bexley leashed at my side to the subway station and barely make my 5:05 train. There is a seat open for once, and I drop into it. I wrap up my umbrella, put Bexley on my lap, and close my eyes to think about everything I did today. I went thrift store shopping, shipped jewelry orders, had lunch with Nadia, and then went to puppy training school with Bexley. It's been a while since I've felt this productive.

By six, I'm home, thrilled to peel off my wet clothes and even more thrilled at having a hot shower with Cash before dinner. We haven't had much alone time lately. We haven't had much time together since Lyndsey and Louis's week-long visit and then being consumed with Cash's hockey training, my jewelry business, and taking care of Bexley. It's nice to be home after another busy day.

"Bexley!" Cash shouts from the kitchen, and she runs to him, wagging her tail. "How are my girls?" he asks as I take off my jacket and hang it up.

"Good. Tired," I say, noticing Cash's hockey duffle bag at the front door.

"How was puppy training school?" he asks.

"She's getting better. Right, Bexley?" I look up to see Cash walking toward me. I glare at his sports jacket, shorts and t-shirt, hoping he can feel my eyes burn on his attire. Is he headed out to hockey training again?

"I made a chicken stir-fry if you're hungry." He leans forward and greets me with a kiss.

"I thought you were cancelling your ice time tonight?"

"Yeah, I was going to..." His voice trails off.

I pout. "You haven't taken a day off from hockey training since Lyndsey and Louis were here. I thought we were going to watch a movie and cuddle in bed. The weather is terrible outside. It's a perfect night to stay in."

He studies me for a beat and then murmurs, "I know, Mittens, but I'm determined to get where I need to be before the season starts, and I don't feel like I'm there just yet. And my trainer couldn't switch my session to this afternoon." He takes a step forward and cups my face with his hands. "I won't be home too late, and I promise we can have our movie and cuddle session tomorrow night."

I shake my head and sigh. "Alright." I know he's working hard to stay clean and prepare for next season. All I have to do is look at his face to know he hasn't been drinking. I'm super proud of his commitment and determination. I kiss his nose and see Bexley looking up at us. "Looks like it's only me and you tonight, Bexley."

I flop down on the couch, and Cash smiles beside me.

"Did you see the article? The magazine came out today. You look stunning in the photo," he says, handing me the magazine.

The picture of the four of us is photoshopped. I'm not complaining, though. My skin never looked so good, and Cash's muscles are well-defined.

I skim through the article as Cash continues. "The piece on us comes across on paper like we are some sort of celebrity power couple." He laughs to himself. "Unlike the piece on Lyndsey and Louis's relationship. It's a little more relatable and captures their playfulness perfectly. They also did a pretty good job promoting your jewelry business, and they also put a really positive spin on my new lifestyle and hockey career."

"Yeah, the article is great. This picture of the four of us is frame-worthy." Laughing a little, I admit, "I'm glad Lyndsey talked me into it. I was skeptical, but this was good for your new public image. You're such a good boy now." I wink at him.

"Not in bed." He laughs softly, kissing my neck.

I moan at the feel of his lips against my skin.

He pulls away with a smirk. "I better get going. I don't want to be late."