Epilogue

Quinn

Eighteen months later

The wedding photographer walks past me, snapping a few photos before bending to ask, "Think I could get some shots of the whole family now?"

Cash wraps his arms around my waist and slides them over my belly. He nestles his chin against the top of my head and lets out a contented sigh.

The photographer motions us over to join the bride and groom standing on a giant rock overlooking the ocean. White-capped waves crash against it, and the sunbeams fiercely around the newlyweds. 

Cash kisses the top of my head. "We'd better head over."

I slide my hand into his but complain anyway. "This Caribbean heat makes me feel nauseous. Lyndsey won't mind if her pregnant matron-of-honour sits out of the next few shots." I shift my eyes to him, hopeful.

"Have you met your sister? She's a fearsome bridezilla. She could cross-check you if you even try to run for it."

Only Lyndsey would get married on a private Caribbean beach in the height of summer. Had I known I'd be four months pregnant on her wedding day, I would have begged her and Louis to wait another year to get married or suggested a much cooler destination like Antarctica.    

"Our baby is sucking all the life out of me." I lean into his shoulder. "You did this to me."

"How sweet of you to remind me." He smirks down at me with that knowing look in his eye.

The look tells me his dirty mind is scrolling through images of us. He tugged my hair, his body moving over mine for hours, my voice low and begging for his teeth, his nails, and his kisses. Both of us were sweaty and exhausted. And then suddenly, the reality that those incredibly intimate and satisfying moments as husband and wife gave us this incredible miracle growing inside me.  

"I'm serious," I say. "I think parenthood is going to be amazing, but I also feel like we're on this crazy rollercoaster that we can't get off, and we're headed toward a lifetime of insanity."

"Technically, we're not parents yet." Cash bends to kiss my nose. "But when that baby pops out, I know we'll be great."

"I hope so, but that still doesn't help with the fact that I'm sweating like a pig right now."

Cash rolls his eyes, pulling me toward Lyndsey, Louis, and my father. He's become immune to my pregnancy-brain complaints. I'm lucky he's learned to differentiate between my hormones and when he needs to be sympathetic.

Right now, it's my hormones talking. This day has been magical. Lyndsey is a picture-perfect bride: long flowing hair, a gorgeous white mermaid-style gown, and sun-kissed skin. Louis hadn't stopped smiling when our plane landed on the island. He looks handsome in his fitted light-gray linen suit, and tears tumbled from his sweet hazel eyes during the ceremony.

"Just think, as soon as we get a few family shots, we can head to our air-conditioned room." Cash wiggles his eyebrows at me. "I'll give your swollen feet a nice rubdown, and maybe we can have a quick nap before the reception starts."

"I love it when you talk dirty to me like that," I tease.

Cash laughs. "Oh, how things have changed."

"For the better?" I ask.

"Nah, Mittens, for the best. Not only are you my wife. You've got our baby in your belly."

A thrill runs from my chest, down my belly, and pulses in my heart. "Yes. Yes, I do."

I close my eyes as he leans close and grazes his teeth over my jaw. "I love you so fucking much, my sexy, sweet Mittens." He kisses me and then helps me climb up the rock, cupping my butt possessively as he hoists me to safety.

"Quinn, I want you standing beside me," Lyndsey says, waving me closer. "And Dad, I want you standing beside Louis."

Our father drapes his arm around Louis's shoulder and glances at Cash and me with a proud grin. It's been a long and bumpy road, but Dad has come around and can proudly sit back, relax, and know his girls are well cared for. In the past six months, Hilton Ashby has married off both his daughters to two amazing men and hockey players. He's even about to become a first-time grandfather.

"What a beautiful family," the photographer gushes. 

We all smile during the repeated flash of the camera. I glance at my family— Lyndsey, Louis, Hilton, and Cash. As I stroke my baby bump, I feel this overwhelming fulfilment. Happy tears prick my eyes, and my chest is suddenly so tight it's hard to breathe. I love them all so much. I am so incredibly thankful for every one of them.

"You okay?" Cash whispers.

"I'm just pleasantly overwhelmed," I murmur.

"Don't worry." Cash's smile straightens into a determined expression, and his eyes move over my face in a way that feels like a caress. "We've got this, Mittens." He taps the part of his ribcage where his Amour Parfait/Perfect Love tattoo is etched on his skin.

I lean against his shoulder, and he wraps his strong, protective hand around mine.

THE END

Thank you for reading my novel. Please feel free to provide any comments and/or feedback. Please don't forget to vote for your favorite chapters ❤️