chapter three

LAUREN

LAUREN'S INTERVIEW AFTER QUALIFYING was an experience she'd never forget. She'd left the entire world speechless. To qualify second in your first qualifying is something some drivers could have only dreamed of doing and she, a woman, did it.

'How does it feel to be a woman standing here amongst all these men?' was one of the first questions she was asked after taking off her helmet.

'Well, it feels pretty damn amazing. I would love to see more powerful girls such as me do the same. I see this opportunity of mine as the start of a new era. Hopefully, I get to dedicate a podium to all the women who did it before me tomorrow. Especially, Maria Teresa de Filippis. She was quite the force and a role model for many,'

Of course, she was also asked about Leclerc.

'We overheard you getting quite angry on the radio with Leclerc,'

'It's not hard to get frustrated when you're driving at high speed. If you're asking me if I think the penalty was deserved, then yes. I'm sure he didn't mean to purposely hinder me,' she was lying through her teeth. Of course, he'd done it on purpose.

Lauren felt very content with her performance on Saturday. She would have loved for her father to have seen it. She was sure he was watching from heaven. After media duties and a minor celebration in the garage, Lauren made her way back to the hotel. It felt crazy how one minute, she was surrounded by countless lurking eyes and writing history and then the other she was sitting by herself in a hotel room. 

She was bored out of her mind, still running high on adrenaline. Not even Cars 2 could amuse her. As if on cue, an unknown number sent her a text. It was Max, inviting her to come out for dinner in an hour at the hotel restaurant with some other drivers. Lauren replied with a quick 'Sure,' and rolled out of bed. 

Lauren is the definition of a girl who can do both. A girl who can race like a maniac but dress like a queen. She was often perceived as high maintenance in social settings before people got to know her. Lauren saw nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with looking after yourself. Max didn't specify a dress code, but it was Monaco so she knew she couldn't go wrong with classy. 30 minutes later, she was ready to go in her little black dress combined with an elegant gold necklace. 

It wasn't hard to spot the drivers as the entire room had been reserved for them. Her entrance triggered an instant reaction. 'There she is,' exclaimed Max before going in for a hug. He was accompanied by a beautiful blue-eyed woman who instantly got up to greet Lauren as well.

'Hi there. Oh, you are a stunner. It's so nice to finally meet you,' said Kelly, squeezing Lauren's hand kindly.

'You're too kind, Kelly. Max is one lucky guy,'

Lauren turned to address the rest of the room. She recognized most drivers. She had yet to know them properly. Max had invited Lando, Oscar, Pierre, Alex, Charles and Carlos. They'd all brought their partners, except for Charles and Lando.

They all got up to properly introduce themselves to Lauren. All but one. Charles stubbornly remained seated and silent until Lauren took a seat in the chair across from him. She'd just then noticed he was wearing his glasses.

'So we were just talking about you,' said Carlos, breaking the ice. It's always awkward when you're the final one to arrive at a group event where everyone already knows each other.

'Hopefully good things only,' she chuckled. Charles snorted.

'Please, I was cheering for you instead of Alex today,' admitted Lily, shooting the brunette a smile. Lauren blushed.