chapter five

LAUREN

'LANDO, I AM TELLING YOU there is no such thing as time travel,' Lauren groaned as the cab they shared came to a halt in front of the club.

'For people like you it isn't,' argued the McLaren driver. 

'You mean sane people?' asked Lauren, smacking the boy with her clutch. Lando groans, rubbing his arm.

'You're mean,'

'You're stupid,'

'For fuck's sake, can you two shut up?' Max was already regretting going anywhere with the two of them. Lauren couldn't contain herself as they walked to the entrance.

'Lando, did you bring your ID? They don't allow minors here,'

'I'll show you a minor,' Lando moaned in annoyance.

'Lando, please. Think before speaking before we get kicked out of here,'

The bouncer eyes the jolly group, winking at Lauren before gesturing for them to get inside. The club was packed with people. Girls in beautiful dresses dancing to pop music from the 10s. Men admire them and secretly enjoy the music too. A shoulder grab stops Lauren from taking in her surroundings. Max pulled Lando and her into a circle as if they were football players discussing strategies before a match.

'We're on a mission tonight. We need to find a somebody to celebrate with Lauren. Lando, do you think you can succeed in finding a suitor?' Lauren groans, desperately craving a drink.

'I don't think we need to search, Max. I'll take her any day,' said Lando, shooting her a wink.

Lauren reached over and pinched his cheeks. 'I don't date minors. Go back to your mommy, little boy,'

'That was weirdly hot,' blurted Lando, earning himself a jab in his ribs from Max.

'Can you children play nice while I get our first round?'

The duo nodded in unison. That's where it all went wrong.

'I bet I can outdrink you,' said Lauren as soon as Max was out of earshot. She was provoking him. She knew he was likely to be an incredible lightweight.

'Challenge accepted,' Lando and Lauren shook hands.

Within an hour, the duo was rather buzzed already. The club had gotten even more crowded. More drivers and celebrities had made it. Lauren was four cocktails in and she was nowhere near finished. She could feel herself getting more emotional with the second. She always felt the inexplicable urge to express gratitude for everything when consuming alcohol.

'Lando,' she slurred happily, pulling the lanky guy into a hug.

'Lauren,' he slurred back, squeezing her tightly.

'I am so glad I met you. You are so much fun,' 

'No, you are,'

'That's all you,'

'No, you,'

Max, who was also rather intoxicated shook his head for the tenth time that night. 'I can't take your arguing anymore. You both suck,'

Lando wasn't paying any attention to him. 'Is that Carlos over there? I need to say hi,' Lando was pointing at a man who couldn't resemble Carlos any less. Still, with utter determination, he made his way over to him. Max knew he was in charge of damage control, so he swiftly followed.

Lauren didn't bother going after them. She had a habit of running away from her friends to go on an adventure after a few drinks. She made her way past an obscene amount of people kissing. The booze made her envy them. She was a catch, where was her prince of the night?