chapter nineteen

LAUREN

IT HAS BEEN A MONTH SINCE Lauren and Charles started dating. It was Saturday, the day of qualifying in Silverstone. Lauren had a media event scheduled together with Max. The vibe had been a bit off between them. The past two races showed a fight between the two of them. Max was starting to drive more and more aggressively. The difference in points for the Driver's Championship was decreasing quickly. Max was hungry for his third title. Lauren wished to become the first female rookie to become a world champion. It was a dream to her, but it could very well become true with her recent driving. 

The crowd was very lovely. They asked interesting questions and the duo provided them with even more interesting answers. 

'So, Max, what do you think about Lauren potentially winning the title this year?' a teenage girl with a Ferrari cap asked.

'I think I'm here to answer serious questions, though I have to admit that would make for a great fairytale,' he said jokingly. The girl's smile fell. The majority of the crowd remained silent. Only male laughter was heard.

Lauren gripped her microphone tightly. 'Well thank you, Max. You just set back society for 60 years,' she uttered sarcastically.

Max sent her a weird look. 'I was just joking, Laury. Loosen up a little,'

Lauren's blood was boiling. She couldn't crack a single smile. What he'd just said wasn't just hurtful to her, but also to the girls in the audience who were there for Lauren. 

'Oh, I'll show you how loose I am on the track this weekend,' Lauren stated. It sounded like a joke, but there was real intent behind her words. She'd set terrific lap times during free practice and she'd do the same in qualifying. She was going to win Silverstone. 

'I'll be sure to look in my rearview mirrors,' he snarled. The crowd could clearly tell that there was tension between the two of them.

'You should, so you'll know when to get out of the way,'

'I don't get out of the way for anyone, but I think it's cute how you already know you'll start behind me on the grid tomorrow,' Max' blue eyes pierced right through her. He was going to be ruthless, she already knew that. So much for a friendly relationship.

Lauren smiled, her jaw clenched. She ran a hand through her hair before again turning to the crowd.

'If you thought Formula One wasn't a game of egos, you thought wrong. Max Verstappen is living proof of it,' If he could be petty, so could she.

The interviewer rapidly changed the subject to something lighter. Both Max and Lauren knew they'd created another PR nightmare for Zara. The interview would later prove to have been foreshadowing for the rest of the race weekend. 

 It all started when Lauren had indeed managed to secure pole position. Max got P2 and Charles got P3. She had her teammate and her boyfriend on her heel. Just great. It was all over social media, along with quotations from the interview in which Lauren called out Max' ego. Red Bull Racing was getting a great deal of public attention and none of it was positive.

Still, Lauren climbed into her steering wheel with a great amount of confidence. She was going to show the world, and especially Max, that nobody should mess with her.

CHARLES

Certain moments in life make your world stop moving. Whether those moments are fueled by something positive or negative, they change who you are. Charles was aware that every time he took a seat in a Formula One car, he or someone he cared about might never exit it. It was a subconscious fear that gnawed at him throughout his entire career. At Silverstone, his fear became reality.