Wattpad Original
There are 20 more free parts

Ch. 19: Women like us are the real brains behind the operation.

My insides shake as I look to Louisa, pre-empting my lecture. I stand by what I said earlier about liking her, but I don't doubt she has the capability of slitting my throat should she so wish to.

"Imogen?"

"I'm fine," I reply, appreciating Torin's need to check in with me before leaving.

Louisa quietly closes the door behind him, essentially ending any and all hopes of him joining our conversation.

"You've certainly found yourself in quite the predicament," she says, walking towards the bed and taking a seat.

I decide to join her as a way of showing her I come in peace. "I'm a Murphy. What do you expect?"

She smiles.

"This may shock you, but Frank wasn't my first choice," she randomly reveals, gently placing her hand on top of mine. "Come to think of it, he wasn't even my second."

I laugh.

"My heart belonged to another man."

Oh?

"Who?" I ask.

She remains silent for a moment, contemplating whether or not to tell me.

"Do you really want to know?"

"Hell yeah!" I express. "Give it to me straight."

She hesitates before doing just that. "Patrick Murphy."

Well, shit!

"I didn't expect that," I admit.

She smiles.

"Our affair was brief. My father put an end to it."

"Why?" I ask.

"Politics."

I should've known.

"I know your love for Torin runs deep," she says. "I remember when you two first started dating. Frank was so threatened."

"That ridiculous!" I insist. "We were fifteen."

"Age had nothing to do with it, Imogen. Separately, you're very powerful people. Together, you're a force to be reckoned with."

"So I'm told."

She lightly squeezes my fingers. "I have a confession to make."

"Okay..."

"It was my idea."

What?

"I discussed your engagement to Aidan with Frank the second I knew you were back."

"Why?"

"Protection."

That doesn't make sense.

"Protection for who?" I question.

"A few weeks ago, Frank and I were having dinner with Torin. I met Tilly."

Oh.

"That night, I learned all about Shane and what he's been up to."

Louisa O'Neil, you sly dog!

"I decided to do something about it."

Her need to defend these women warms my heart.

"Where do I fit into all this?" I ask.

"Well, when I heard of your return, I knew it wouldn't be long before you found out," she explains. "Torin may be powerful, but he doesn't have the resources. You needed Frank, and I made my husband think he needed you."