Chapter 10

By : Brynn Morgan

Copyright © 2023 by – Brynn Morgan – All Rights Reserved.
It is not legal to reproduce, duplicate, or transmit any part of this document in either electronic means or printed format. Recording of this publication is strictly prohibited.

Chapter 10

THE NIGHT BEFORE

Lainie drifted to the window and pulled back the curtain. The sun had already disappeared, but the sky still glowed in faint hues of burnt orange and deep purple. Her words were too quiet even for her own ears when she said,

"I was ten when it happened—on the Fourth of July weekend. It was so hot. My mom was employed by the Hastings family as a housekeeper then, and they decided to throw an extravagant party that night. They always tried to show off their wealth at events like these. I ended up going with her because I had nothing else to do during summer break, and she needed help."

Lainie slowly stepped over to the couch and sat beside Emily without meeting her gaze. She continued speaking in a monotone voice.

"My mom and I had been out in the garden, where she was hanging red, white, and blue bunting on the lamps. She ran out of one of the colors and asked me to go to the house to get some more. When I stepped into the entryway, I spotted a box at the bottom of the stairs. As soon as I bent down to pick it up, I heard someone laughing, but when I looked around, there was no one there." She said.

"Just as I went to grab the box again, I heard someone say hello to me from upstairs. Assuming it was a kid, I started climbing up the steps - but then Mom yelled for me to bring her the bunting. That is when I felt it."

Lainie remembered the feeling of being shoved from behind and losing her balance.

Her eyes closed as she recalled it, and her fear returned.

"I reached out just in time to grab the railing and stop myself from falling," she began. "But I still hit my head on one of the steps. I had some bruises, but otherwise, I was okay."

Emily sighed with relief.

"Thank goodness for that."

Lainie's gaze shifted to Emily then, and what Emily saw there was filled with dread.

"Mama never found out about it, but I never forgot," Lainie said softly. "Something pushed me down those stairs - something that wanted to hurt me or worse... If I had not caught the railing, Emily, if I had fallen at the top of those stairs as Tristan did ... I don't think I would have survived that day." Surety filled her voice as she spoke. "I would have been killed, just like my sister."

Emily had a sharp recollection of the fear she felt around the stairs that night. She took a swig of her now lukewarm coffee and looked Lainie in the eye.

"I still don't buy into this supernatural stuff, Lainie," Emily declared without wavering.

Lainie stared back at her with a blank expression.

"What happened to you that night was not some burglar breaking in," Lainie said sarcastically. "It was angry enough to take it out on the kitchen because it couldn't get to you. I would not go back to that house if I were you," she warned seriously. "I know what my sister went up against—it wasn't human. It was something wicked—something that wanted to hurt us, but Tristan wasn't behind it."

Emily slowly sipped her coffee and leaned her head against the couch cushion with her eyes shut tight.

"I have not seen Tristan either, Emily, but Tristan was good; she had some hard knocks in her life, but she was good, and she would never hurt another living soul. She did not have it in her to cause harm," Lainie said.

Emily sighed deeply.
"I lost my husband, daughter, and unborn son six months ago in a car accident. "I'm a broken woman." Emily let out a deep sigh of pain as she spoke.

Lainie was taken aback and held Emily's hand tightly.

"Oh gosh, Em, I am so sorry for your loss." She paused. "I could tell something was off, but I had no clue.

Emily did not let go of Lainie's hold; it comforted her in this time of need.

"If only I could have been with them, then I wouldn't have to endure this living torture without them. I have begged for some sign that they are safe, but all I get is nothingness - the heavens seem made of brass above me. If only I could see them again and apologize for allowing them to leave that night for fucking ice cream."

Fresh tears streamed down her cheeks, yet she did not attempt to wipe them away.

Lainie could not help but shed tears alongside her new friend; they both were going through the same sorrowful experience.

"This isn't happening to me," Emily grumbled as she pounded a pillow with her fist. "Ghosts aren't real - if they were, I'd be able to see my family—but nothing!"

Lainie shook her head in despair and spoke.

"I'm not sure what I believe either," she said honestly. "Something is definitely off in that house; people get hurt and die there. Bella was perfectly fine until she saw her mother's body at the bottom of the stairs, but after that, she changed—and it might be permanent."

Lainie took both of Emily's hands in hers and held them tightly.

"You say you don't believe in the paranormal ... but you called Tristan's name out loud last night, right?"

Emily was stumped; she had indeed called out Tristan's name last night!
After they had both gone to their beds, Emily lay awake in Bella's bed. She felt restless and could not sleep.

Why did I call out Tristan's name if I don't believe?

Emily thought to herself as she snuggled under the comfortable.

That was a very good question.