𝟬𝟴 prey

the ending of this chapter is kind of triggering, i'm sorry. if you are easily triggered by abuse/child abuse,
i will mark the start and end of it using this emoji: ‼️

chapter 8 !
prey ...

DURING FRENCH CLASS, MJ nudges me. "I talked to Peter and Ned in fourth. They would be thrilled to have you on the team. Same with the teacher supervisor."

I grin excitedly. "I'm glad."

We turn to listen to the teacher and she turns to me, "If it makes you feel better, I'd say Peter was extremely thrilled when I brought it up."

"Shut up!" I whisper-yelled, a bit too loud. I knew it wasn't true, though. Peter clearly still had some sort of thing going for MJ, I could tell—no mind-reading needed.

Mrs. Dubois looked at me, eyebrows raised. "Pardon? En français?" ("Sorry? In French?")

My cheeks flushed red. "Désolée pour ça, Mme Dubois," (Sorry for that, Mrs. Dubois). I then turned to MJ and held back a chuckle while saying "tais-toi" (shut up).

"Merci," (Thank you). Mrs. Dubois responded before continuing to teach the now silent class. MJ and I tried our best to not laugh for the next few minutes.

₊˚ˑ༄ؘ

Walking down the train cars, I reach the one I've sat in everyday, expecting my seat to be empty as it usually was, but today there was an old man sitting in it. Something touches my wrist, so instinctively I flinch from their grasp and look to my right, seeing Peter gesturing to the empty seat next to him that was just covered by his backpack.

Gratefully, I sit down next to him. He pulls out his earbuds and looks at me with a soft smile. "So, um, I heard you're gonna be joining the Academic Declathon team."

"Yeah," I smile. "I heard you were thrilled about it."

He stifled a laugh. "Is that really what MJ told you?"

"Mhm," I nod. "You know it's true, though. You're ecstatic that I'll be there."

"Are—are you trying to manipulate me?"

I shrug and he laughs, offering me his earbud. I took it and put it in my ear, smiling at the typical nerdy teenage boy music that was playing—Radiohead.

"What?" He smiles at me.

I shake my head. "Nothing."

As we're in the middle of "Paranoid Android," the train starts slowing down abruptly. We both look at each other in confusion because this isn't where he gets off—it's not where anyone gets off. We take the earbuds out and he rushes towards the front of the train, trying to figure out what's happening. I follow.

The area ahead of us was completely on fire. The buildings were dancing with hot red and ember orange flames. Fire trucks rushed into the proximity, tens of firefighters jumping out to take out the house and put out the fires.

Peter points to the sky, telling me to look. I follow his finger to see an object in the sky, growing bigger every second. As it gets closer to us I can discern it's appearance.

"It's like a—"

"Vulture."

I furrow my brows. "You don't mean—"