Juno

{Kiara}

Kiara hesitated. "When I was—" She stopped. She wouldn't tell Chiron about the voice of the old woman. Not yet. "When I was on the skywalk at the Grand Canyon, I got this feeling of danger. And the same feeling returned when I was on the chariot." She paused, searching for the words. "It's as if someone forbade me from being high up in the air."

   "Oh gods." All of the color had drained out of Chiron's face. "That's bad."

   Kiara shot to her feet. "What's bad?"

   Chiron looked at the girl in front of him. He looked sad and... scared. He shook his head. "That cannot be possible," he muttered. He looked at Kiara, then at Jason. "You two, are the children of the Big Three. I knew you were powerful, but..." He trailed off, leaning back in his wheelchair.

   In the corner, the arcade game made a sad pew-pew-pew-pew sound, like a Pac-Man had just died.

   "Your presence here could be a disaster," Chiron said.

   "Thanks," Kiara said. "You must be an inspiring teacher."

   "I am sorry, my girl. But it's true. I had hoped that after Percy's success—"

   "Percy Jackson, you mean. Annabeth's boyfriend, the one who's missing," Jason guessed.

   Chiron nodded. "I hoped that after he succeeded in the Titan War and saved Mount Olympus, we might have some peace. I might be able to enjoy one final triumph, a happy ending, and perhaps retire quietly. I should have known better. The last chapter approaches, just as it did before. The worst is yet to come."

   "Ohh-kay," Jason said. "So—we are really powerful demigods and a lot of bad things will happen. Sounds fun, but can we go back to the part where I'm supposed to be dead? I don't like that part."

   "I'm afraid I can't explain, my boy. I swore on the River Styx and on all things sacred that I would never..." Chiron frowned. "But you're here, in violation of the same oath. That too, should not be possible. I don't understand. Who would've done such a thing? Who would dare bring you here?"

   "Probably the lady in the mist," Jason suggested. He was at his feet now, sword drawn. He was glaring at Seymour.

   Kiara furrowed her eyebrows. "Weren't you just sitting... Why do you have a sword drawn?"

   "I hate to tell you this," Jason said, "but I think your leopard just ate a goddess." He told Chiron and Kiara about the goddess who had apparently made a frozen-in-time visit, the dark misty figure that disappeared into Seymour's mouth.

   "Oh, dear," Chiron murmured. "That does explain a lot."

   "Then why don't you explain a lot to me?" Jason said. "Please."

   Before Chiron could say anything, footsteps reverberated on the porch outside. The front door blew open, and Annabeth and another girl, a redhead, burst in, dragging Piper between them. Piper's head lolled like she was unconscious.

   "What happened?" Kiara rushed over. "What's wrong with her?"

   "Hera's cabin," Annabeth gasped, like they'd run all the way. "Vision. Bad."