Finally Leaving the Palace

{Piper}

"I like the winter festival," Zethes muttered.

   "My point," Boreas snapped, "is that I now have a chance to be the center. Oh, yes, I will let you go on this quest. You will find your storm spirits in the windy city, of course. Chicago—"

   "Father!" Khione protested.

   Boreas ignored his daughter. "If you can capture the winds, you may be able to gain safe entrance to the court of Aeolus. If by some miracle you succeed, be sure to tell him you captured the winds on my orders."

   "Okay, sure," Jason said. "So Chicago is where we'll find this lady who's controlling the winds? She's the one who's trapped Hera?"

   "Ah." Boreas grinned. "Those are two different questions, son of Jupiter."

   Jupiter, Piper noticed. Before, he called him son of Zeus.

   "The one who controls the winds," Boreas continued, "yes, you will find her in Chicago. But she is only a servant—a servant who is very likely to destroy you. If you succeed against her and take the winds, then you may go to Aeolus. Only he has knowledge of all the winds on the earth. All secrets come to his fortress eventually. If anyone can tell you where Hera is imprisoned, it is Aeolus. As for who you will meet when you finally find Hera's cage —truly, if I told you that, you would beg me to freeze you."

   "Father," Khione protested, "you can't simply let them—"

   "I can do what I like," he said, his voice hardening. "I am still master here, am I not?"

   The way Boreas glared at his daughter, it was obvious they had some ongoing argument. Khione's eyes flashed with anger, but she clenched her teeth. "As you wish, Father."

   "Now go, demigods," Boreas said, "before I change my mind. Zethes, escort them out safely."

   They all bowed, and the god of the North Wind dissolved into mist.

Back in the entry hall, Cal and Leo were waiting for them. Leo looked cold but unharmed. He'd even gotten cleaned up, and his clothes looked newly washed, like he'd used the hotel's valet service. Festus the dragon was back in normal form, snorting fire over his scales to keep himself defrosted.

   As Khione led them down the stairs, Jason noticed that Leo's eyes followed her. Leo started combing his hair back with his hands. Uh-oh, Piper thought. She made a mental note to warn Leo about the snow goddess later. She was not someone to get a crush on.

   At the bottom step, Khione turned to Piper. "You have fooled my father, girl. But you have not fooled me. We are not done. And you, Jason Grace, I will see you as a statue in the throne room soon enough." She turned to Kiara. "As for you, Kiara Morrigan, daughter of Pluto, I have the feeling your fate will be quite... exciting. And if you live—" she smiled maliciously "I will take my time killing you slowly."

   "Boreas is right," Jason said. "You are a spoiled kid. See you around, ice princess."

   Khione's eyes flared pure white. For once, she seemed at a loss for words. She stormed back up the stairs—literally. Halfway up, she turned into a blizzard and disappeared.

   "Be careful," Zethes warned. "She never forgets an insult."

   Cal grunted in agreement. "Bad sister."

   "She's the goddess of snow," Jason said. "What's she going to do, throw snowballs at us?"

   But as he said it, Piper had a feeling Khione could do a whole lot worse.