Greeks And Romans

{Kiara}

"Kiara was there too." Jason looked at Kiara. "Do you remember?"

   Kiara did remember. She had summoned an army of skeletons and pushed back Kronos's army. She had even thought of trying to get help from her father because things seemed to get so hopeless.

   But she didn't answer Jason's question. Instead, she looked at Annabeth. Her eyes were as stormy as a ventus. Kiara could almost see her thoughts moving, putting the pieces together. "The Bay Area. We demigods were always told to stay away from it because Mount Othrys was there. But that wasn't the only reason, was it? The Roman camp—it's got to be somewhere near San Francisco. I bet it was put there to keep watch on the Titans' territory. Where is it?"

   Chiron shifted in his wheelchair. "I cannot say. Honestly, even I have never been trusted with that information. My counterpart, Lupa, is not exactly the sharing type. Kiara and Jason's memories, too, have been burned away."

   "The camp's heavily veiled with magic," Kiara said. "And heavily guarded. We could search for years and never find it."

   Rachel Dare laced her fingers. Of all the people in the room, only she didn't seem nervous about the conversation. "But you'll try, won't you? You'll build Leo's boat, the Argo II. And before you make for Greece, you'll sail for the Roman camp. You'll need their help to confront the giants."

   "Bad plan," Clarisse warned. "If those Romans see a warship coming, they'll assume we're attacking."

   "You're probably right," Jason agreed. "But we have to try. I was sent here to learn about Camp Half-Blood, to try to convince you the two camps don't have to be enemies. A peace offering."

   "Hmm," Rachel said. "Because Hera is convinced we need both camps to win the war with the giants. Eight heroes of Olympus—some Greek, some Roman."

   Annabeth nodded. "Your Great Prophecy—what's the last line?"

   "And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death."

   "Gaea has opened the Doors of Death," Annabeth said. "She's letting out the worst villains of the Underworld to fight us. Medea, Midas—there'll be more, I'm sure. Maybe the line means that the Roman and Greek demigods will unite, and find the doors, and close them."

   "Or it could mean they fight each other at the doors of death," Clarisse pointed out. "It doesn't say we'll cooperate."

   There was silence as the campers let that happy thought sink in.

   "I'm going," Annabeth said. "Jason, when you get this ship built, let me go with you."

   "I was hoping you'd offer," Jason said. "You of all people—we'll need you."

   "Wait." Leo frowned. "I mean that's cool with me and all. But why Annabeth of all people?"

   Annabeth and Jason studied one another, and Kiara knew she had put it together. She saw the dangerous truth. The daughter of Athena's gaze slides to Kiara, who nodded, confirming her thoughts.

   "Hera said my coming here was an exchange of leaders," Jason said. "A way for the two camps to learn of each other's existence."

   "Yeah?" Leo said. "So?"

   "An exchange goes two ways," Kiara said. "When we got here, our memories were wiped. We didn't know who we were or where we belonged."

   Jason continues from where Kiara left off. "Fortunately, you guys took us in and we found a new home. We know you're not our enemy. The Roman camp—they're not so friendly. You prove your worth quickly, or you don't survive. They may not be so nice to him, and if they learn where he comes from, he's going to be in serious trouble."

   "Him?" Leo said. "Who are you talking about?"

   "My boyfriend," Annabeth said grimly. "He disappeared around the same time Jason and Kiara appeared. If Jason and Kiara came to Camp Half-Blood—"

   Kiara finished Annabeth's phrase. "Percy Jackson is at the other camp, and he probably doesn't even remember who he is. He could be in trouble if he acts in a wrong way around the Romans." She paused for a moment. "And the Romans aren't fans of Neptune."

   "So you're saying they might not accept Percy?" Annabeth asked.

   "They will accept him, though they will not trust or like him," Jason replied.

   "Not to mention the Lares," Kiara muttered.

   "Lares?" Will Solace asked.

   "Oh, I know about them!" Lou Ellen interfered. "They were guardian deities, right? They look like ghosts?"

   "Yes," Kiara said. "And they will know Percy is Greek."

Sorry for the (very) short chapter, but this is the last chapter before MoA!!