Our Saving Grace

{Jason}

Jason turned.

   Annabeth was peering over his shoulder. Her expression was sad, like the picture brought back hard memories. "She's the other child of Zeus who lived here—but not for long. Sorry, I should've knocked."

   "It's fine," Jason said. "Not like I think of this place as home."

   Annabeth was dressed for travel, with a winter coat over her camp clothes, her knife at her belt, and a backpack across her shoulder.

   Jason said, "Don't suppose you've changed your mind about coming with us?"

   She shook her head. "You got a good team already. I'm off to look for Percy."

   Jason was a little disappointed. He would've appreciated having somebody on the trip who knew what they were doing, so he wouldn't feel like he was leading Piper and Leo off a cliff.

   "Hey, you'll do fine," Annabeth promised. "Something tells me this isn't your first quest."

   Jason had a vague suspicion she was right, but that didn't make him feel any better. Everyone seemed to think he was so brave and confident, but they didn't see how lost he really felt. How could they trust him when he didn't even know who he was?

   He looked at the pictures of Annabeth smiling. He wondered how long it had been since she'd smiled. She must really like this Percy guy to search for him so hard, and that made Jason a little envious. Was anyone searching for him right now? What if somebody cared for him that much and was going out of her mind with worry, and he couldn't even remember his old life?

   "You know who I am," he guessed. "Don't you?"

   Annabeth gripped the hilt of her dagger. She looked for a chair to sit on, but of course there weren't any. "Honestly, Jason ... I'm not sure. My best guess, you're a loner. It happens sometimes. For one reason or another, the camp never found you, but you survived anyway by constantly moving around. Trained yourself to fight. Handled the monsters on your own. You beat the odds."

   "The first thing Chiron said to me," Jason remembered, "was you should be dead."

   "That could be why," Annabeth said. "Most demigods would never make it on their own. And a child of Zeus—I mean, it doesn't get any more dangerous than that. The chances of your reaching age fifteen without finding Camp Half-Blood or dying—microscopic. But like I said, it does happen. Thalia ran away when she was young. She survived on her own for years. Even took care of me for a while. So maybe you were a loner too."

   Jason held out his arm. "And these marks?"

   Annabeth glanced at the tattoos. Clearly, they bothered her. "Well, the eagle is the symbol of Zeus, so that makes sense. The twelve lines—maybe they stand for years, if you'd been making them since you were three years old. SPQR—that's the motto of the old Roman Empire: Senatus Populusque Romanus, the Senate and the People of Rome. Though why you would burn that on your own arm, I don't know. Unless you had a really harsh Latin teacher..."

   Jason was pretty sure that wasn't the reason. It also didn't seem possible he'd been on his own his whole life. But what else made sense? Annabeth had been pretty clear—Camp Half-Blood was the only safe place in the world for demigods.

   "Kiara has them too, right?" he said. "But hers was a bit different than mine."

   Annabeth nodded. "She has the symbol of Pluto on her arm, along with the motto of the Romans."

   "Do you know where she is?" Jason asked. "I was hoping maybe she could come with us. After all, the prophecy mentioned her."

   "I don't know, Jason," Annabeth said. "It's dangerous to bring more than 3 people on a quest. But I guess if you talk with Chiron..."