Prologue

The clashing of weapons can be heard throughout the pack grounds as warriors train vigorously. Jackson, the pack's gamma, leaned against a tree watching the adults fight each other, giving tips to pack members on what they need to change to improve.

"You little bitch!" His attention snaps towards the male's booming voice, chuckling as he watches Freya, the only child training with adults, disarm him and knock him on his feet meaning she is the victorious one in their battle.

"Don't be a sore loser just because a girl beat you!" She giggles out.

"Does anybody wish to go against our fearless Freya?" Jackson booms over the noise in the clearing, causing everyone to stop to pay attention, then turning to glare daggers in the 10-year-olds direction.

"Girls shouldn't be out here, so why is she the fucking exception?" Jackson growls at the blatant disrespect being shown to him.

"Watch your tone when you're talking to me, pup, or the Alpha will hear about it next time. As for this girl, the Alpha, and Luna have been impressed with her commitment, that or they think she's got a death wish." He mumbled the last part to himself, but it was still heard due to everyone's enhanced hearing. A few warriors start lining up to fight against the girl, arrogant that their strength will be the end of her.

Fight after fight, each adult had been bested by this gray-eyed, fire-haired girl. By the end of the training session, she was the only one standing other than Jackson himself.

"Tomorrow everyone is running 20 miles before we train harder than we have before. There is no excuse that a child should be besting you lot! You're all dismissed." Freya yawned as she walked with Jackson back towards her home close by the packhouse.

"Tired from kicking everybody's ass today, Firegirl?" Jackson looked down at this girl in wonder, how the hell did she best his men, especially without breaking a sweat?

"No, Gamma Jackson. I'm just bored, I never have a challenge anymore!" She whined as she walked, crossing her arms over her chest. She had a couple of scars lining her arms from the first time she had fought against the adults, which was the only time she was ever disarmed and taken down. He let out a boisterous laugh, leading Freya into a fit of giggles.

"Alright, Firegirl, I challenge you to a duel tomorrow while everyone is running. Think you can best your trainer?"

"You're on! Of course I can best you! No offense, but you're just as sloppy as they are." She said matter-of-factly.

"We'll see about that. Here we are, you have a lovely night Miss Freya."

"You too, Gamma Jackson." She waved at him as she walked into her house, closing the door behind her. She walked up the stairs to her bedroom to shower, do homework, and go to bed for the night. She rarely talks to her mother anymore, the girl is always asleep before she comes home from assisting the Alpha with whatever work they do, Lillian never spoke of it with her children.

It was past midnight and Freya lay there tossing and turning. Whimpers can be heard from the young girl, indicating that she was having a nightmare. She bolted awake, sweat forming on her browline as she tried to regain her senses. She looked around the room, nothing out of place or nobody standing where they shouldn't.

'You're okay, it was only a stupid dream.' she told herself, getting up to splash water on her face. She put her curly hair up into a bun, slipping into workout clothes to go for a run, the only thing that helps her clear her mind after the nightmares she gets often. As she stepped outside into the cold air, she felt like she was being watched.

'It's just from your nightmare, nobody is out here that shouldn't be. We have patrol warriors for a reason.' She told herself as she took off towards the woods, jogging at first to warm her muscles up and then into a sprint. Critters in the forest run away as she disrupts their sleep, she keeps pushing forward unable to shake the feeling that somebody out there is watching her.