Chapter 6

Freya Dean

I stared into those eyes for what felt like an eternity, my wolf howling in my head. His amber-honey eyes captivated me, making me take a step closer to him. I could feel the authority he held, I just had no idea who this beautiful tan specimen was.

'MATE' Artemis howled over and over in my head, and all I could do was run back into the packhouse. It's not that I don't want a mate, but I have a pack to look after, I cannot just go with this man who held power which meant he would try to take me away - that's how all males are when they find what is "Theirs". I went behind the entrance that I came from in the ballroom before dinner and shifted back, still in my dress and my hair still neat all thanks to the chain around my neck. I leaned against the door and sighed, what if my mate doesn't even want me anyway? I am a Moon Wolf, born from the Goddess herself to help destroy the evil that dares to defy her. 'Stop thinking like that. He is our mate! OUR MATE!' I winced as Artemis scolded me, I decided to tough it out and go back to the ball. I needed a strong drink, and I might as well mingle with the other packs while I have the chance.

I gulped down the shot of tequila, then requested a triple shot margarita. The bartender kindly obliged and handed me my drink. I spun around to face the dancefloor, smiling to myself at everyone who found their mates including myself. I haven't seen that handsome face since I ran. 'You probably scared him, you dumb girl.' I rolled my eyes at that, knowing that Artemis wouldn't stop with this bantering until we found him again. A pale man walked up to the bar, he had icy blue eyes, black hair, and tattoos all over. I could tell he was an Alpha, I just didn't know from what pack.

"Hello, Ms. Alpha Dean, my name is Onyx Ember, Alpha of the ShadowEmber pack."

"Hello, Mr. Alpha Ember. It's a pleasure to meet you." I was leaning on the counter and caught him taking some glances towards my ladies which made me sit up straight to cover them a little better. He looked me in the eyes and smiled.

"The pleasure is all mine, but please just call me Onyx. We're both Alphas, no need for pleasantries. Thank you for holding this year's ball, I had a feeling Thorin was going to push it onto somebody else rather than host one himself." He chuckled, and I stiffened. The King was supposed to hold it and he made me instead? I grew irritated at this, what a coward way out.

"Well, I didn't know it was supposed to be his turn, I should have told him no then." I rolled my eyes and chuckled, trying to be pleasant even though I was getting angry. "Where is your pack located? I haven't seen any other wolves in this area, so I'm curious how far everyone had to travel to get here." He sat on the stool next to me and ordered a drink, then turned to face the crowd similar to myself.

"We're about 50 miles away from your territory's edge. Nobody comes this way because of the tale of it being cursed. I beg to differ now, the most beautiful Alpha to ever live is here, so it must be a blessing." I blushed at that, making my wolf irritated. 'We have a mate.' she growled and I just closed her off, not wanting to deal with her right now - it wasn't helping my shit mood.

"Why thank you, Onyx, that's very kind of you." I finished my drink and continued watching the dancing couples as we sat in a comfortable silence afterward.

"Care to dance with me?" He stood and held out his hand, I shrugged and took it as he walked us towards the floor. We danced to two songs, and he stayed a gentleman the entire time keeping his hand placed in the middle of my back, not even attempting to go lower. Just as the second song came to an end, Onyx bowed and walked off leaving me in the middle of the dance floor confused. Huffing, I try to walk to the bar yet again but am stopped by a tall chest and electrifying tingles that run through my body. Looking up, I am prepared to give this man an earful when I catch those eyes again. Blushing, I look away and mumble an apology.