porch light

"You ok?" She interrupted my thoughts. "You've been cleaning that same spot of the tank for like 3 minutes straight."

"Yeah, oh, sorry," I scrubbed elsewhere. "Just deep in thought I guess."

"About?" She came over. "Your boy toy?"

"If that's what you want to call him," I shrugged. "I just don't know how to tell Alora. I was friends with her before I met Kai, and things just kind of happened."

"How long were they together?"

"No idea," I told her. "We don't talk about it at all, it's a sore subject as it is, so I can't imagine just walking up to her like, Hey, I think I'm in love with your ex, that cool?"

"In love?"

I froze, not knowing why I'd even said that. I didn't love love him, ...right?

"N-No, that just slipped out," I stammered. "I've only known him a few months, and we aren't even together."

"Only knowing him for a few months doesn't mean you don't love him," she informed me while gathering the pet supplies to do her next task. "When you know, you know. If she's really your friend she'll understand."

I watched her walk off to another section of glass tanks, and pondered what she said. It made sense and seemed so easy when others said it, but I was just too afraid, maybe I'd make Kai tell her alone. No, that's selfish.

Whatever, I thought, I'll figure it out later.

Not too long later it was the end of my shift, and I finally got to take off my gross apron.

"See ya Dani," I called.

"You work tomorrow?"

"No, thank god."

"Oh," she came jogging over. "That sucks. We should hang outside of work sometime. Like at a movie or something."

"Yeah," I agreed. "Sounds fun."

She smiled and did a little salute before trotting back off to where she'd been.

I was thankful I didn't have to drive far to get home, less than 15 minutes. It being November meant that it was already dark now at 5:30, and I hated driving in the dark. When I parked in front of my building, I noticed someone walking up the path, to what seemed like was gonna be my door. I turned my car off and leaned forward to watch what they'd do.

Kai's porch light flickered on as the person I could now make out as a woman in a hoodie knocked on his door. I stayed still and watched out of curiosity.

He appeared in the doorway, cold weather be damned as he was still shirtless, and I couldn't read the blank expression on his face. The two of them seemed to be going back and forth for a few minutes, but he didn't invite her in. Good.

My relief didn't last long, as suddenly she embraced him in a hug, and he seemed to hesitate for only a second before giving in. My stomach turned, but it had no right to. He had no obligation to me, and I should've really been keeping that in mind.

He shut his door, and when the woman turned around, I felt like I could puke: Alora. She was just beaming with joy and practically skipping down the path and down to her car, which she'd strategically parked a couple buildings down.

Once I was sure she was gone, I speed-walked up to my own door and went in. What the hell did I just witness?

I flopped backwards onto my couch, and soon Pumpkin was walking all over my legs, checking me out to see what was wrong.