04 | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐭

CHAPTER FOUR,the marriage pact

CHAPTER FOUR,
the marriage pact.

⋆.ೃ࿔*

AFTER ORDERING A MILKSHAKE, BURGER AND FRIES, Emmy watches as the waitress takes Steve's order. Inside the diner had a good amount of customers. She's spent a lot of her childhood at this particular diner. Of course, she looked around with the most adorable eyes, fascinated by her surroundings. Steve was admiring her with heart eyes, chuckling to himself.

"What?" Emmy giggles softly, "I'm just admiring how nothing has changed that much."

"Yeah, I get you. I still come in here occasionally." Steve cheekily comments. This visit felt different though. It felt like old times when they were just kids. Life was easier back then.

The waitress lets them know that she'll bring out their drinks momentarily. Then, she walks away, leaving just the two of them.

Emmy smirks at him, resting her arms on the dining booth. "Is this where you bring your girlfriend for dates?"

     Steve whistles, entertained that Emmy thought he actually had a girlfriend. "I'm sure you know by now that I'm single. I'm single as a pringle, Em." And no, he's never brought a girl here before. She's the first and only.

"I know, I know. I'm just messing with you." She bats her eyelashes at him, observing how he started to look flustered.

   Since they are on this particular topic, he wanted to know the answer to something he considered to be meaningful. "What about you? Do you have a boyfriend?" Please say, please say no, he thinks to himself. If she's not single, it wouldn't change much but it'll make things harder for him.

Emmy leans back in the booth, a sheepish grin tugging at her lips. "I mean...if I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't be on this date with you."

"I thought we both agreed that this isn't a date?" It's not that be didn't want it to be one. He was in his head a lot, wondering what Emmy would think. Building back a friendship with her is his only objective. But let's say that he might still have a crush on her...what would happen next?

Emmy's next words were, "But what if I want it to be one?"

Steve clears his throat, stunned but alarmed at what she said. He started to read her, wondering if she was serious. Her facial expression gave him the impression that she wasn't joking around. His next words consisted of, "It's a date then, Emmy D."

Emmy props her elbow up, resting her face on her fist. Her eyebrows raise, her lips holding a gentle smile. "Thank you for taking me on a date, Harrington." Her statement held more than one meaning. Firstly, she was glad to spend time with him. Secondly, he was able to take her mind away from her disheartening thoughts. Thirdly...well she couldn't say as yet.