Chapter 15: Fight in the Underground Labs

3's ink ran cold as her grip around the book tightened. The sanitize were already back?

"How many?" she whispered, looking between Leo and the door.

"Two at a lab table and one by the window. It looked like she tripped while walking out," Leo explained, sliding his gear backpack off his shoulder and onto the floor, rummaging through it.

"Four vs. three, like those odds," Becca said, taking out her slosher, ready to throw down.

"We also need to capture one of them. Alive." 4 added, stressing the last part as Leo took out a tranquilizer gun.

3 was a little surprised to see how small the tranq gun was. It looked like a human handgun she had seen in Bec's human shooter games. Expect it had what looked to be a silencer on the nuzzle. The tranq guns 3 always thought of were more similar to chargers than shooters.

"So, how many shots do we have?" Becca asked Leo, snapping 3 out of her thoughts while Leo clicked the release button for the case and checked the ammo. Leo gave a heavy exhale before clicking the case back into the gun.

"Only four. Got to make it count." Leo stood up, swinging the strap of the backpack through his arm. "They don't know we're here yet, so let's use it to our advantage."

"Hang on,"

3 stood behind Leo, zipping open the backpack. She carefully set the book inside, moving a few things to let it sit properly. Zipping it closed, 3 moved to the door, Heroshot in hand, and slipped out before anyone could stop her. Using the machine as cover, 3 peeked out to find the two sanitize that Leo told them, their backs turned to 3. They looked preoccupied with papers at the table while the other was unpacking boxes on the floor nearby. This was a golden opportunity. There was no telling when or if more sanitize were coming; they had to work fast.

Becca quickly slid out, joining 3 with her slosher in hand, with 4 and Leo following suit.

"Are they still there?" Leo asked, now carrying the tranq gun.

"Yeah. They're all working; our best bet is to sneak over and take out the two at the table. While you tranq the one on the floor." 3 whispered, rounding her back to somewhat face the others.

They all nodded toward her. 3 was the senior of the makeshift team; she had the most experience and was the oldest agent.

"4, Becca, you two surprise the two at the table from behind and take them down. I'll grab the one on the floor and keep her still. Leo, you have the best aim, so you take the shot. I couldn't see any weapons. Tread carefully and quietly."

The others nodded. Splitting up, Bec and 4 moved ahead as 3 and Leo let them past them, then started moving back. 3 and Leo quietly moved behind the dumpster, getting into position and waiting for the others. 3 peeked out, spotting 4 and Bec hiding against the table behind the sanitize. With the sudden jerk against the table, a sideways test tube began rolling toward 4's side of the table. Hearing the glass tube, 4 looked up in time to see the tube roll over the edge. His eyes grew wide, shooting out an arm. 4 barely caught it with having to angle the duly to catch it. His hand was a mere inches from the floor.

4 frantically signaled Bec to duck back as one of the sanitize turned around, most likely having heard the glass. Her eyes darted about, though no one could tell due to the sunglasses, searching for the source of the sound. 3's heart raced, watching the Ocotling stare at the table before her.

"Don't look, don't look," 3 pleaded in her head, helplessly watching the scene before her.

The Octoling stood there momentarily before shrugging it off and returning to work. A small wave of relief washed over 3. One crisis averted. Bec and 4 got back into position and looked at the dumpster, where 3 nodded and motioned them to go. 3 gave Leo a slight nudge on his arm as she moved past him, signaling him to get ready as she slowly crept out into the open. 3 felt exposed as she slowly moved toward the unsuspecting Octoling, sitting on the floor with her tentacles in a ponytail and her back turned to 3.