Chapter 17: Missing

(Warning: threatening to commit suicide.Artwork by me)

"Sweetie, you're freezing!" Darcy gasped as she quickly led 3 toward the bathroom. As they passed by a closet, Darcy grabbed a towel from it and wrapped it around 3, trying to comfort her. "You go and take a warm shower. I'll lead you some clothes and throw yours in the dryer, okay?"

"Wh-What about 8-8?" 3 whispered, pulling the towel around her tighter, trying her best to keep her teeth from chattering. 

"4's calling the others. You can fill us in after you've had a warm shower. It won't do anyone any good if you end up catching a cold," Darcy reassured in a soft voice, opening the bathroom door for her.

3 reluctantly walked in while Darcy closed the door behind her. She stood there, holding the towel so tight her knuckles turned white. She turned on the shower and undressed, setting the towel on the toilet seat, deliberately not looking at herself in the mirror. She didn't need to see what was there. She just wanted to clean and warm herself. She got into the shower and stood there, letting the warm water wash over her, a small sob escaping as tears streamed down her face. Gritting her teeth, 3 cleaned herself, washing her tentacle repeatedly until she felt clean.

She got out and toweled herself dry, then sat down on the tub's edge, put her face in her hands, and closed her eyes. She heard faint knocking at the door before opening a crack, with Darcy sticking her arm through, holding a T-shirt and some shorts.

"I got you some dry clothes. Can you hand me your clothes?" Darcy asked through the crack. 3 slowly got up, picking up her wet clothes from the floor and exchanging them for dry ones. "Take your time, okay?"

Darcy closed the door. After Darcy's footsteps faded away, 3 sat down on the toilet seat and closed her eyes. She wasn't ready to go out there yet. Not prepared to face the dreaded aftermath, whatever discussion there might have to be. She rubbed her temples as a few tears rolled down her cheeks, splashing down on her feet. The sharp pain she had felt early had disappeared, but there was pressure inside there, something that had yet to emerge. 

"You can't stay here forever," 3 bitterly thought, taking a shallow breath. 8 confessing to her replayed in her head, making her heartache.

3 got up and dressed into the blue anchor tee and shorts. She turned and went to look in the mirror. She looked tired, as if she had pulled an all-nighter, and her eyes were a little red from crying. Taking a breath, 3 emerged from the bathroom to find Darcy sitting on the couch while 4 stood and talked on the phone. 4 had put his shirt back on. Sensing her presence, Darcy looked over her shoulder, giving 3 a sad smile while motioning her to join her on the couch.

"Shower, help?" Darcy asked as 3 sat down next to her.

She nodded, sneaking a glance over to 4. Then a thought came to her.

"Hey, do you have my phone?"

"Uh, it's in the kitchen," Darcy jerked a thumb back toward the kitchen. "It was wet, so I threw it in a bag of rice to be on the safe side."

"Thanks,"

4 hung up with a sigh, plopping beside his girlfriend on the couch.

"Okay. I was able to get in touch with Pearl. Me, her, and Marina will check on 8." 4 looked toward the girls. "Callie and Marie were with them and want to hear what happened. You two stay here and wait for them. Keep the door locked."

3 nodded as Darcy gently patted 3's shoulder.

"Be careful. I'm not sure 8 will be himself when you find him," Darcy said with worried eyes, momentarily glancing at 3.