Chapter 24: Stanford

Brad drove onto my road, stopping at the end of the road.

"It's the fourth house." I said. He silently drove and parked on my driveway. "Thank you." I gave him a small smile.

"Yeah." He said as I got out of the car, "Bye." He smiled as I walked to my front door. He began backing the car out as I shut the front door.

"MOM! DAD!" I yelled.

No response.

Usually my mom is at home.

"Mom?" I tried again.

Nothing.

"Dad?"

Nobody responded. I went to look out the balcony to see if they were at the beach, but the darkness proved to show nothing.

A strange tingling fear crept up my arm.

Something moved.

I turned my head quickly in the darkest of the house.

"Hello?" I whispered, inaudible.

A shadow crawled up from behind me. My heart raced, my breathing stopped.

I couldn't move, I was frozen in the middle of the doorway.

"Please don't kill me." I whispered.

The suspense grew inside me, I was going to die today.

I turned around in circles, looking for whatever could be moving.

"S. . .stop, whoever you are it's not f. . .funny," I stuttered, tripping over my foot.

The wind blew through the balcony, blowing napkins all across the living room.

"Please, please don't hurt me." I mummbled, my heart hurt, my voice shaking.

The shadow turned to the corner of the room.

The spooky moonlight, lighting the house.

Where is the light switch???

"Please." I whispered, tears of fear slipping out of my dry eyes.

My heart was pounding faster and harder in my chest, I tripped again, my back landing on a wall.

All the lights turned on.

A loud sound erupted from inside me, I screamed as though I was on a roller-coaster ride.

I lay on the floor, my arms covering my head.

After a moment of silence, I decided I was being paranoid and got up.

I turned the corner to go upstairs, the shadow seemed to move. It was coming closer.

"I know Soduko!" I yelled.

"Meaw."

I started laughing hysterically, how on earth did I even. . .

I glared at my dumb cat as I began walking upstairs.

Resting my head on the pillow, I dozed off to bed.

♡♡♡

"Rise and shine Melody," Mom's voice boomed through my bedroom.

"Hey mom." I said, jumping out of bed to hug her.

"Ok, enough of that," She pulled my arms off of her, "You had school two hours ago, did you forget?"

I was alarmed, in high alert, how did I not wake up this morning for school?

"Yeah, I'm so sorry. I'm going to get dressed and go right now." I jogged into my bathroom as mom left the room.

I changed in a couple of minutes and got into my red rundown car.

♡♡♡

Memories of last night flooded my mind.

Why am I even going back to school today? So I can be humiliated even more?

So I can watch Christian suck face with Jennifer?

So I can have my heart broken and my non-existent reputation shattered?

I parked in front of the school, contemplating whether I should go inside.

Missing a day won't do anything, I shifted the car into drive and began to my house.

"Hey Ellen, get the mail will you?" Mom shouted as I walked inside the house.

"Ok Mom!"

I walked back outside to our small white mailbox. I opened the front of it and took out an envelope.

To: Pure Bliss
7254 Silicon Lane Florida

It read. It had a red posted thing in the side. It looked like it was from standford, but I never applied to any colleges.

I opened the envelope, taking out the folded paper inside.

Pure,

We congratulate you on your acceptance and admission to Stanford University.

I stared at the first sentence. Acceptance to Stanford? Did I apply in my dreams?

I was overwhelmed with joy!! I ran inside screaming at the top of my lungs, "I'M GOING TO STANFORD!! I'M GOING TO STANFORD!!"

My mom stepped out of the kitchen moments later with a robe on.

"Sabrina, please keep it down, you got us out of the mood, what's going on?"

"I'M GOING TO STANFORD!!" I disregarded her moment.

Excitement burst through me like a popping water balloon.

I'm going to college!