A Week of Unforeseen Independence

The holidays have come to an end, and the familiar routine of school days has resumed. I sit with a sense of boredom, my hand lazily propping up my cheek as the teacher drones on. His teaching style has never been my favourite, and biochemistry, well, let's just say it's not my strongest subject. Despite the internal pep talk, the struggle is real. I scan the classroom, observing a mix of students—some diligently absorbing the lecture, while others seem to have found solace in computer games. The future doctors of the world, all gathered in this room.

My mind starts to drift, and I find myself daydreaming about anything but biochemistry. The clock on the wall seems to be moving in slow motion, each tick-tock echoing the passing seconds of my life that I'll never get back.

After what felt like an eternity, the teacher finally released us from the clutches of his never-ending lecture. The relief was palpable, especially considering he managed to stretch this evening class into what felt like a nocturnal odyssey. My bag, laden with books and the weight of impending homework, swung over my shoulder as I made my way out.

The hallway, once bustling with students, now echoed with the haunting silence of a school winding down for the night. The flickering lights cast eerie shadows, creating a cinematic scene that wouldn't be out of place in a suspense thriller. With each echoing footstep, I quickened my pace, eager to escape the labyrinthine corridors.

Finally, I emerged into the crisp night air, the cool breeze a welcome contrast to the stifling classroom. A sigh of exhaustion escaped me, and I couldn't help but think that navigating the twists and turns of the school's hallways felt like a mini adventure of its own.

I stroll through the city lights, lost in the rhythm of my music with no particular thought in mind. As I walk, a flicker of movement catches my eye in one of the nearby buildings, but I dismiss it as a trick of the light. To combat my growing fatigue, I crank up the volume on my earphones, the music serving as my late-night companion.

Yet, the shadows persist, leaping from rooftop to rooftop in an uncanny display of agility. It defies the laws of physics, and I can't help but feel a shiver down my spine. Before I can fully process the surreal sight, the mysterious figure descends to ground level with an audacious grace. My startled exclamation escapes as a "holy crap" – whoever this is, they're clearly not playing by the rules.

As I increase my pace, a tap on my shoulder sends my heart racing, and I unleash an involuntary scream. Whirling around, my wide eyes meet the gaze of the Green Ninja. I yank my earphones off, the sudden silence emphasizing the rapid thud of my heartbeat. "You scared me!" I blurt out, my initial shock giving way to a sheepish smile.

The Green Ninja chuckles awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry about that. I saw you walking alone during patrol and thought I could walk you home?" Grateful for the offer, I agree with a nod, and we set off together.

Observing his updated ninja uniform, I playfully inquire, "New clothing?" He laughs, explaining, "I guess you could say that. Our old ninja gi was tattered from fights, and I lost my mask somewhere too."

Curiosity piqued, I mention, "I actually thought they were some granny underwear," referring to his mask. His eyes widen in confusion, prompting me to clarify, "Your mask – you left it in my room. At least, I think that was it." Recognition dawns on him as he recalls, "Ohhh, so that's where it went." I affirm with a grin, "Indeed."

As we walked side by side, the air carried a continuous whiff of cologne — not just any cologne, but the exact same scent as Lloyd's. My eyes darted around, searching for any sign of him, but he was nowhere in sight. Deciding to solve the mystery in an embarrassing yet direct manner, I seized the Green Ninja's arm.

"Hope you don't mind, but this is important," I playfully announced, seizing the Green Ninja's arm for a quick olfactory examination. Muttering under my breath, "No way, you share the same scent as him," I cast an inquisitive glance at the Green Ninja, whose expression oscillated between confusion and mild shock at the unexpected sniffing.

In his bewilderment, he questioned, "What are you doing?" I released his arm and admitted, "That scent you have there is the exact same as Lloyd's!" The words hung in the air, and I cringed at the revelation. I turned slowly to face the Green Ninja, expecting judgment.

To my surprise, he burst into laughter. "You are quite an odd one, Y/n, you know that," he chuckled. I sighed, feeling the weight of embarrassment. "This is how desperate I am, even going to the lengths of smelling a ninja. How embarrassing," I confessed. The Green Ninja continued to laugh and teased, "I'm sure this Lloyd of yours is very lucky to have you." I shot him a pointed look and retorted, "Not funny."

I cringed at my own lack of filter, realizing that blurting out Lloyd's name wasn't exactly a pinnacle of wit. Now, the Green Ninja had a front-row seat to my embarrassing crush revelation. My internal monologue chided me, Me and my big mouth, running as always.

The Green Ninja seized the opportunity to tease me, "So, you really like this guy, huh?" I responded with an emphatic nod, "Like is an understatement, even." His verdant eyes widened in surprise at the candid admission. His green eyes... I squinted at him, momentarily caught in the absurd speculation—could there be a connection? Nah, I dismissed the thought, attributing it to fatigue. I was too tired to entertain such fanciful notions.

The Green Ninja, amused by my revelation, continued to walk alongside me. Despite my initial embarrassment, we engaged in light banter and laughter. As we approached my home, I thanked him for the company and the unexpected walk home. He assured me it was no trouble and bid me goodnight.

Entering my house, I was greeted by the warmth of home, a stark contrast to the cool night air. My thoughts lingered on the events of the evening, particularly the revelation about the shared scent between Lloyd and the Green Ninja. Shaking my head to dismiss the whimsical thoughts, I decided to get some rest.

Announcing my return, I find my mom engrossed in the living room, watching TV. She smiles warmly and asks about my day at school. I respond with a deadpan expression, noting that it was okay but could use a bit more excitement. She chuckles, seemingly understanding the sentiment.

The atmosphere takes a sudden turn when she tells me she has something important to share. I raise an eyebrow, urging her to continue. She reveals that her job has sprung a surprise trip on her, and she will be away for a week starting tomorrow. The news catches me off guard, and I express my disbelief with a simple "what." My mom acknowledges the abrupt nature of the announcement, explaining that her workplace informed her only two hours ago.

As she proceeds to give me a list of instructions on what to cook, how to manage the household, and to call her in case of any emergencies, a mix of surprise and responsibility settles in. She kisses my cheek and, sensing my exhaustion, encourages me to head to bed. The sudden news leaves me contemplating the upcoming week and the responsibilities that await me.