XII. Banquet

"RICHARD, TAKE YOUR MEDICINE." Before going to bed, Elias, who had finished taking a bath, handed a cup of medicine to Richard. Coincidently, Ann was bringing the medicine as Elias finished his bath.

Richard looked disapprovingly at the bluish liquid. "I'll get better soon even if I don't drink this."

"You don't want to drink it, do you?" Elias took a fruit-flavored candy out of a glass bottle in a drawer and handed it over to him. "Here. Drink the medicine and then eat this. I am specifically saving it, but I'll give it to you."

He looked as if he was persuading a child who didn't want to take medicine. Richard muttered his refutation and drank the medicine in resignation. And he returned the candy to Elias as if to refute that he was not a child.

Elias smiled contentedly at Richard. "You are so nice and listen to me well, husband."

Richard's sullen look eased a bit at the word "husband". Then, he hardened his face again as if he had thought of something. "Are you going to the banquet?"

Elias was puzzled as he didn't know what Richard was talking about. Ah, he remembered as he saw Ansel's invitation on the bedside table. "I have to go. The Duke seemed to look forward to it."

After Count Arden and Ansel returned, Albert called Elias to join him for dinner. Richard couldn't join along because he couldn't use his left arm. Albert praised Elias for the first time.

(Author's Note: [...] means the dialogue happened in the past)

[You did well in helping Young Master Arden. Count Arden's land is located along the eastern sea, so he has been actively engaged in trade with the eastern continent, and consequently, he can easily get the supplies that are difficult to obtain. So, it is beneficial to build a friendship with Count Arden.]

[I see.]

[In life, there will be inevitable moments when you need to choose which one of the opposing sides will be your enemy. At that time, it's better to judge which side will benefit you more to be your ally and turn the other one to become your enemy. Like this time.]