one

Being a protector of Ninjago meant that going on dates was absurdly difficult

Being a protector of Ninjago meant that going on dates was absurdly difficult. Not that this was a date, of course. This was a friendly hangout that happened to take place on a random rooftop, obviously . . .

Being a ninja meant that everyone in the city knew who they were. Children pounced on them every time they tried to enter Doomsday Comix with the innocent intention of picking up the latest issue of Violet Vengeance. A dozen phone cameras pointed to them the moment they waltzed into a public park, videotaping their every move.

In fact, someone had had the audacity to take a photo of Lloyd and Y/n's first kiss on the steps of the Imperial Palace.

Rude.

That was how the pair ended up sitting on the slanted, clay-tiled roof of Mystake's old tea shop. The afternoon breeze danced past them, ruffling Lloyd's hair and pushing his fluffy bangs over his eyes.

"That was you, wasn't it?" he asked, unimpressed.

Y/n tried (and failed) to contain her laughter. "No, I swear, it wasn't." She quickly snapped a picture of him. How often does one find the green ninja cosplaying as a highland cow?

Lloyd blew the hair out of his face, unconvinced. "Hm, really?" Without warning, he leaned in until his face was inches from hers. "Then why did only one of us get hair in their eyes?" He squinted suspiciously at her.

Y/n squeaked, heat rising to her cheeks. She pushed him away with the palm of her hand. "The wind just likes me more," she shrugged, regaining her composure. "Sucks to be you."

He pouted, feigning offense. "What, so the wind is biased?"

"Just a little," she admitted, popping a lollipop into her mouth.

Lloyd frowned. "Where did you even get that from . . ?"

"I have my ways," Y/n said with a wink. Beaming, she added in a whisper, "My pants have pockets!" The way she'd said it made it seem like that was the greatest thing in the world. Her enthusiasm was infectious, and Lloyd found himself grinning back at her. "I would share, but I don't want your saliva on my lollipop," she explained, scrunching up her face in disgust at the thought.

"It wouldn't be the first time we shared saliva," Lloyd said without thinking.

Both of their faces went red. Y/n choked on her candy, wheezing.

"You can't just- that's not- what?" she whisper-screeched. They had yet to discuss what had happened at the palace. They heard enough about it on the internet with that photo making rounds.