three

Lloyd and Garmadon sprinted for the elevator

The Oni hoard immediately chased after them as vines of darkness creeped across the walls. Garmadon jumped through the broken ceiling and onto the first floor, Lloyd following close behind him. They burst through the tower doors, Oni in hot pursuit.

"Zane! Nya! Get us out of here!" Lloyd shouted, switching on his earpiece. "Lower the zip lines. Lower the zip lines!"

"Lloyd, I'm standing by for your extraction," Pixal said. "Locking onto your coordinates now!"

Lloyd frowned, not expecting her to respond alone. "Pix? Where's the Bounty?"

"They are attending to a distress call. I remained behind in case of an emergency," the android explained. "I have your coordinates. I'm on my way." Samurai X came flying down from the sky above.

"No! You can't enter the cloud! We have no idea what it would do to you!" cried Lloyd.

"I am a nindroid. I should be able to withstand the cloud's effects," Pixal stated.

"We don't know that!"

"As you once said, we're about to find out."

ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ✩‧₊

The Bounty rushed through the clouds.

"How much farther to that distress call?" Y/n questioned.

"Should be approaching it now," Zane said, frowning slightly at the sea of darkness below.

"I don't see it," Cole said. Were they too late?

Kai spotted a skyscraper peeking above the shadows. "There! That's gotta be it!"

"That's the Ninjago News Center," Nya recognized.

Kai squinted at the tendrils of darkness clawing their way up the building. "It's covered in those . . . things."

"I'll bring us in over the rooftop," said Nya, gripping the steering wheel. "You guys, get them out of there before the clouds swallow the entire building."

"Come on, Cole!" ushered Jay. The two boys raced to the ropes dangling overboard.

Cole dropped down onto the roof first. "Hey, folks, need a lift?"

Vinny, the cameraman, sighed in relief. "Boy, are we glad to see you guys!" he exclaimed, grabbing a rung on the ladder. "Thanks!"

"Our pleasure!" Jay returned. He waved the refugees over to the ladder. "Mind your step now."

Cole glanced nervously at the approaching shadows. "Uh, a little quicker, folks?" he suggested, voice coming out higher than usual in suppressed panic.

"Creepy black vines closing in!" added Jay.