eight

The ninja burst through the museum doors and onto the street

The ninja burst through the museum doors and onto the street. Smoke billowed up from faraway buildings as fireballs crashed down. The fiery crackle of the air around them made Y/n's skin burn. The wind that whistled past reminded her all too well of that night in the Imperial Palace.

In the distance, Lloyd spotted the head of a massive cobra peeking over the city line. "That way. Come on," he urged. "We have to stop that thing."

Zane frowned contemplatively, stopping him. "Wait, Lloyd. Aspheera has beaten us twice, and with the scroll she is more powerful than ever," he reasoned.

"We can't just give up," Lloyd protested.

"I am not proposing that," clarified Zane, "but Master Wu taught us to think before we rush into battle. We need to know more about her and this . . . Deceiver. Perhaps then we will find a way to defeat her."

"You're talking ancient Serpentine history," Kai said doubtfully.

"Yeah," agreed Cole. "Who do you plan to ask?"

"What about Skales?" Jay suggested. "He's Serpentine. Maybe he knows."

Nya furrowed her eyebrows in though. "The Serpentine don't usually get involved," she recalled.

Cole shrugged. "Only one way to find out."

"Okay. Jay, Cole, and Kai, you guys track down Skales. Find out what you can," Lloyd instructed.

"Well, what are you gonna do?" Kai asked.

"We're gonna see if we can slow Aspheera down," he explained. "Get that scroll back. Come on!"

Cole hoisted a manhole cover off the street, holding it up while Kai and Jay dropped down into the sewage systems. He offered Y/n a quick nod of "be right back" before jumping in after them.

Zane, Lloyd, Nya, and Y/n began to sprint after the massive serpent. "They must be headed for the south side of the city," Zane observed.

"But why?" Nya wondered. "There's nothing there."

"Unless that's where her Deceiver is," Y/n realized. She was more surprised at the fact that she could make that connection than the idea itself; her brain felt like a jumble of overcooked noodles.

"Zane. Can you find us a shortcut?" Lloyd asked. "So we can get ahead of her?"

Zane's eyes glowed blue as he processed the request. "Cross referencing alternative routes . . . I have plotted the fastest route. This way." He led them to the side of the bridge they were dashing across, which overlooked a street perpendicular to it. "Jump!"