4.

At Driftmark, King Viserys I Targaryen and his entire royal court attended the funeral of Laena Velaryon, along with the devastated members of House Velaryon.

"We join today at the Seat of the Sea to commit Lady Laena of House Velaryon to the eternal waves water, the dominion of the Merling King where He will guide her for all days to come."

Laena's uncle Vaemond Velaryon delivered the eulogy in High Valyrian.

"As she sets to sea for her final voyage, the Lady Laena leaves two true-born daughters on the shore. Though their mother will not return from her voyage, they will all remain bound together in blood. Salt courses through Velaryon blood. Our runs thick. Ours runs true."

He included several pointed remarks about Velaryon blood remaining pure while glancing at Rhaenyra Targaryen's alleged children with Laena's brother Laenor, who looked nothing like him.

"And our must never thin."

While Laena's husband Daemon Targaryen was somber at her death, he couldn't help but giggle Vaemond's pettiness in bringing this up now of all times.

"My gentle niece. May the winds be as strong as your back, your seas as calm as your spirit, and your nets be as full as your heart. From the sea we came. To the sea we shall return."

The ceremony ended with Laena's stone sarcophagus being dropped over a coastal cliff into the sea, to rest beside her ancestors.

                                 ♧

The bereaved court then gathered at a cliffside courtyard of High Tide castle for the wake, which was filled with long awkward silences and strained conversations.

This event had forced Rhaenyra and Alicent Hightower's families to meet in one place again right after Rhaenyra removed herself from King's Landing to Dragonstone.

The Princess had made that decision due to the rumors after the birth of her youngest child Joffrey that all of her children were actually Harwin Strong's bastards.

Moreover, Laena's death had spurred Daemon to return to Westeros for the first time in a decade, along with his daughters by Laena who have never met the rest of their family.

Also gathered at the castle for the funeral were all of the dragons which were big enough to mount: Daemon's Caraxes, Rhaenyra's Syrax, Laenor's Seasmoke, Rhaenys's Meleys, and also Aegon's Sunfyre and Helaena's Dreamfyre.

Naella approached Laena's daughters, seeking to comfort them in their grief.

"I am truly sorry for your loss."-she said with sadness.

"Your mother was indeed a fierce and brave woman. My father told me many stories about her courage and strength."

The twin girls had lost their mother, but somehow they felt comforted by Naella's presence.

"Have you seen your father?"-Rhaenyra joined her son as she saw her daughter with the twins.

"Your little cousins have lost their mother. They could use a kind word."

"I have an equal claim to sympathy."-Rhaenyra's eldest son, Jacaerys Velaryon, was old enough to realize that Harwin was his father,

"Jace."

"We should be at Harrenhal, mourning Lord Lyonel and Ser Harwin."

He privately told his mother how upsetting it was that they couldn't openly mourn him without drawing suspicion to themselves.

"It would not be appropriate. The Velaryons are our kin and the Strongs are not. Look at me. Do you understand?"-he nodded.

"Now... go with your sister."