32.don't have to be there to make a home

Liora stood gazing up at the spot where Cole was holding a picture against the wall. "Just a little more to the right," she instructed. Cole let out a huff as he glanced at her.

"Rory, I know you have a thing, but it's the 3rd time," he remarked. Liora rolled her eyes and nodded as he stepped back. "See, it's good," he said. Liora examined it before turning to him.

"Actually, you're right," Liora said, walking over to the desk and inspecting the rest.

"I'm what?" Cole teased as he walked over to her. She rolled her eyes as she looked up at him. "I'm right? Is that what you said?" he asked, leaning on the desk next to her.

"Don't do that," Liora whined as her eyes moved to the window, and she caught sight of Jackie and Alex kissing. "Oh my God," she exclaimed, dropping the pictures in her hands as she leaned closer to the window.

Cole nonchalantly leaned against her as she gazed out the window. "Wow, go little brother," he remarked, drawing Liora's attention. Her eyes snapped up to meet his. "We kissed better than that," he teased. Liora playfully pushed him away, rolling her eyes at his remark.

"I think they're so cute together," Liora mumbled as she looked back at them. "He probably did something so romantic. It's too bad you're not romantic," she said, hearing his footsteps stop.

"I am too romantic," he insisted. Liora just shook her head as she looked down at the pictures.

"I bet that I can take you on the most romantic date you have ever been on," he said as he dug through her boxes.

"I would take that bet because you've never really had a girlfriend or had to plan a really romantic date," Liora said as she watched Cole just hummed.

"Hey, Rory?" Cole drawled, his tone casual but with a hint of curiosity. Liora, still looking down, hummed in response. "Not to stop the moment, but why are these still in the boxes? These are hot," he remarked, a touch of his trademark dry humor lacing his words. Liora raised her eyebrows, clearly puzzled as she looked up at him, but her expression quickly shifted, her face falling in realization.

"Cole!" Liora hissed as she quickly walked over to him to retrieve her underwear. "Give them to me!" she said, taking them from his hand and grabbing the box full of laces and undersets.

"The box clearly says 'undersets,' Cole," Liora said, pushing the box into the closet. "That means don't look," she said, shutting the door and turning to him.

"We're pretty much done," Cole said, nodding as he looked around. "Why don't we go for a ride?" he suggested, making Liora look out the window and then back at him.

"It's almost dark out," Liora said. Cole nodded as she let out a breath, and he gestured to the door. Liora found herself following him out of her bedroom and down the stairs.

"Hey! Wait!" Katherine said, making them both stop and look at her. "Where are you two going?" she asked. Liora looked at Cole.

"On a ride. I want to show her something," Cole said. Katherine looked between them before looking away.

"Alright, don't take long," she said. Liora smiled. "And use the lights, it will be dark soon," she added as Cole pulled Liora along out the door.

"What are you showing me?" Liora asked as she walked up to the horse and slowly pulled herself up onto its back.

"You'll see when we get there," he said as Liora lightly kicked her horse, urging it forward as they slowly made their way through the field.

"Right here," Cole said, stopping. Liora looked around before also stopping, dismounting, and walking over to him. "Come on," he said, leading her a little ways before coming to a stop, causing Liora to look up at him.

"There," he said and pointed. Liora's eyes moved to look, and a smile pulled at her lips. There, the moon was coming up barely over the trees, and its light shone through different spots, casting patterns that resembled windows on the ground. The shapes of the trees looked like buildings from New York.

"Rory, you don't have to go back to the big city to see it," Cole whispered softly in her ear, his voice low and intimate. "And you don't have to be there to make a home," he added, his gaze steady as Liora turned to look at him.

Liora didn't know what to say; she just looked up at him. "Thank you," she said, her eyes meeting his. At that moment, Cole gave a small smile, and Liora felt content, glad that she had stayed.

Cole took a step forward, his hands moving to her face, slowly pulling her towards him. Their lips met gently as Liora's hands moved up to his shoulders and ran across the back of his neck before they pulled away.

"I'm happy you stayed, Rory," Cole mumbled as Liora smiled up at him. The moon continued to rise, casting a gentle glow of light upon them, dispelling the darkness of the night.