Blame

I wake up with a start, remembering I have school.

I look at the clock and sigh in relief. 'Still have at least an hour,' I think to myself.

I silently tell myself that today will be better as I'm getting dressed.

I dress into some pale ripped jeans and a baggy mint green and black sweater.

I pull my strawberry blonde hair up in a ponytail, and survey myself in the mirror.

Shrugging I head downstairs for some of the bacon I've been smelling since I got up.

Arlo is already up, and I slide into one of the stools at the bar I am met with a confused frown and tilted head.

"You seem in a better mood," Arlo says as he sets two pancakes and some bacon in front of me.

I slather on some peanut butter and regular butter, and then drown it all under some thick syrup as I talk. "Yeah, sorry about yesterday. Must've been sick or something. Don't worry, everything's fine now," I say with a small glance at him.

I can tell he doesn't by the 'I wasn't feeling well' act, but being the amazing big brother he is, he quickly changes the subject. "By the way Sera, mom already left. She told me to tell you that we'd have the house to ourselves all night. She's working late again. So I'll pick you up from school, unless you want to ride the bus," he says as he cleans up the kitchen from cooking.

I nod as he talks, and when he gets to the part about mom working late I glance at him with sad and frustrated eyes. "She's been working herself to death lately. How can she even stay awake with the little sleep she's gotten this past month?" I ask Arlo

His back is facing me as he washes the dishes, but he turns to face me quickly. He looks at the ground briefly as if he wants to say something, but shakes his head and makes eye contact with me. "She's just trying to make sure we have everything we need. And right now she has to work to make that happen," he explains.

"Oh don't butter it up to be something it's not, Arlo. I'm not stupid," I tell him, pushing my plate of half eaten food across the counter.

He looks at me with a confused look on his face, but then realizes what I mean and slams his hands on the counter angrily. I've never seen him lash out like that before, so I jump in my chair.

"Oh please Seraphina, not everything in this family revolves around you, you know. Tell me honestly, do you have a single idea about what's been going on between dad and mom? Huh? Or what about what mom's had to deal with at the school because of what you did? Or how about this? Do you even know what I've been going through at school? Every single time I walk through those doors at school it's always, 'oh look at him. I heard his sister put a classmate in the hospital'. Then I come home to you being stuck in some pity party, and mom and dad having issues," Arlo yells at me.

I stare wide eyed at him as he tells me these things. I know there are better things to say when told this, but obviously I'm stupid, so I come up with the best response possible, "Well if I'm that much of a burden to you, then why even put up with me?"

Yeah... best response ever.

Arlo let's out an exasperated sigh, and glares at me angrily before grabbing his keys and heading to the door. He stops when his hand reaches for the door, and calls behind him for me to take the bus.

I feel tears pushing their way out, but I swallow to hold them back. I flinch as Arlo slams the door behind him on his way outside.

I glance at the clock and sniffle, wiping the tears away.

I grab my bag for school, and open the door as the bus pulls up.

I sigh as I sit down in the back of the bus and look out the window.

Today is not going to be a great day.

●●●

Author's note

●●●

I am trying to get this going. Hope you liked this chapter.

I know it's short, but with how it ended up it seemed better to split it here.

Questions or ideas or anything?

What is your favorite color?
Mine's midnight blue. It reminds me of the sky, full of stars and a full moon. Cheesy I know 😅

Have a blessed day.