Secrets pt. 1

Seraphina's POV

I glance behind me at Rein. He barely makes a sound in the leafy undergrowth of the forest. I keep thinking I've lost him, and then when I look back he's right behind me.

I focus once more on the path ahead of me. I know it well, and I hope that where we're heading will calm me.

I hesitate in a thicker part of the woods, before stepping into the clearing I know will be waiting beyond the tall ferns, and thick trees. I've never shown anyone this spot. Not even my parents know I come here.

I hear Rein clear his throat at me calmly, and I step through. Into a sunlit fantasy.

The sun shines through an emerald green canopy, a small brook rolls happily through the middle of the clearing; a giant tree sits off to the side of the brook, it's large branches hanging low, and thick. A branch swoops down and touches the surface of the rippling water. Flowers sprinkle the clearing with colors of white, blue, yellow, pink, and gold.

I sigh happily and head straight to the branch sitting above the water. Branches that mean safety and comfort.

I easily climb into the tree, and see Rein looking around with a surprised expression on his face. He catches my eye, and walks over calmly, his face blank one again.

"So... what do you think?" I ask nervously.

His pale eyes meet mine, and I smile slightly, which seems to make him happy for some reason. "It's really amazing. How'd you find it?" He asks with an open smile.

I sigh inwardly, glad that he likes it. It almost feels like he's passing my own personal test. How many more questions there are is still yet to be decided.

So with that, I begin to tell him the story of how I found this beautiful place. As I speak, I am pulled into memories.

                         ***
I wander the town alone. Thinking. I wonder if my parents will be mad, considering I've run away from the school. I've never been a rule breaker.

But what can you do when you're scared and feel alone. Even around your own friends.

I wonder if running was the worst thing to do. If I should have talked to my best friend. Cleared up the issue.

I had just walked in on Alisa and a group of the popular kids talking in homeroom. First day of middle school, I thought maybe they wanted to become friends with me and Alisa. Although looking back, I should've known better.

They hadn't noticed me. So I overheard them saying how I was kind of dumb, and whiny. They asked Alisa why she hung out with me.

And Alisa did nothing.

Of course, in middle school it seems like a bigger deal than now. But what was worse, is that they tried to get her to break off her friendship with me for them.

I heard and ran. And I walked after a while, into the meadow. A safe place, which at the time seemed like a fantasy. Like wonderland.

                        ***

I finish telling Rein the story, and he frowns thoughtfully.

I sigh. "Anyway, this place is not a place of darkness as the story seems. I've been coming here since then. Usually when I need time to think," I explain casually.

Rein looks up at me, and tilts his head. "So, she's still mad at you now I guess?" He asks with a furrowed brow.

I laugh lightly. "Oh, no. We talked it out afterwards. And the other kids hated the fact that we stayed friends," I say smiling.

Rein frowns again. "Then... why does she look at you like you're the lowest person in the room?" He questions me.

I look to the ground. "Well, that's actually a long story. Short version? She may have decided I was 'toxic' and broke it off," I tell him darkly.

He nods slowly in understanding.

Just then, his attention is jerked from the conversation, and he turns his head into the deeper parts of the forest.

I follow his gaze, and think I see a movement in the tree line.

My thoughts are proved correct when three massive wolves step out of the shadows, and into the clearing.

The one in the lead is mostly blonde, with darker flecks along his muzzle, and front half of his back. With piercing blue eyes. The one to his right, and behind him, is charcoal grey with white on his tail and front paws, and has bright green eyes. And the last is pure white, with pale blue, almost lavender, colored eyes. She is the only female in the small party.

I sense Rein tense up suddenly, and when I look over his eyes are glazed over. As if he is looking at them, but seeing something else.

The wolves direct their attention from Rein, to me quickly, and I flinch.

The leader pads forward, and before my eyes a tall man with dirty blonde hair, and the same piercing blue eyes, and freckles dotting his face, replaces the wolf.

I quickly look away, and hear a rustle and a soft chuckle. "Don't worry, girl, you can look now," he says.

I slowly turn, and in front of me are now three, fully dressed, people. The wolves nowhere to be seen.

The first man is still there, but instead of the charcoal wolf, and white wolf, there is a younger looking male with black hair and green eyes, and a woman around the same age as the forty man, and she has cocoa brown hair with golden blonde streaks, and lavender eyes.

I blink. My brain has malfunctioned and I'm in a coma, where people appear from out of nowhere, I think to myself blandly.

Rein grits his teeth beside me. "Mom, dad... Max. Glad to see you. Why are you not at home?" Rein asks cooly.

I glance at him in confusion. "Um, can someone please explain what in the world just happened?" I ask.

The younger man smirks at me, and I glare suddenly. Out of the corner of my eye I see Rein turn to me with an open mouth, about to explain. He is cut off by the woman, who walks toward me.

"I'm so sorry for my husband's manners. My name is Hazel," she says, then motions to the younger man behind her husband. "That is Max. And my husband's name is Daxton," Hazel explains with a sweet voice.

I look at all of them, and back at Rein. "Your parents?" I ask with a brow raised.

Rein flinches slightly, obviously hoping I would forget he was there. "Yes. These are my parents. And Max is a warrior," he explains with a reluctant sigh.

I frown. "A warrior. Okay, and what about the wolves? Where are they? Because I'm pretty sure I saw three very large wolves standing in front of me not very long ago," I say.

I see Max sniffle a laugh. And Rein looks over to me. "Yeah, about that. I'm going to need you to sit down..." Rein says slowly.

I look between the four people in front of me, and slowly lower myself onto the trees lower branches.

I have a feeling that this is going to take some time.