S1: E4 Act of God

It has been a couple of days since then and I am on edge. It is due to the fact that it is raining. By raining I mean throwing it down. That means my shift is going to be a nightmare. Oh well, there is nothing that I can do about it. At least I can get to the fire station quickly. I pull my Austin FD-issued rain jacket over my body before making the mad dash from my parking spot over to the fire station. Along the way, I get soaked. Luckily for me, the mad dash is quick. After exchanging my civilian clothes I head to the ambulance so I can get a head start on the inventory. After a few minutes, I am joined by Michelle.

"Just a heads up there might be a tornado warning," she remarks as she joins me. My eyes widen as tornadoes are the one natural disaster that I have not faced.

"You'll be fine so long as we are not on call," Tim adds as he finally joins us. Now that we are all here the inventory flies by quickly. I just hope that this shift is not as eventful as I think it will be. So long as we all stay safe. Once inventory is done we turn our attention to making sure we have all of the information. We head to the rec area where a laptop is set up.

"We have a severe weather alert tonight in Austin Texas," The news reporter reads their script as we help Paul get dinner ready.

"Oh, boy, it's going to be a long shift today," My brother remarks as he approaches the kitchen.

"That is why we are kicking things off with Paul's world-famous spicy sausage rigatoni," Paul responds. At least we have something to look forward to. After some back and forth our attention is grabbed by the cracking of thunder.

"It's like the end of days out there," Marjan comments as she makes sure the last of the plates are set. I have decided to take my plate to the ambulance in case something happens.

"Hey, go take down the colours 'cause we don't fly the flags in rough weather," Judd orders Mateo. His eyes go wide.

"Why me?" Mateo questions. The answer should be obvious.

"Because you're the probie," we all parrot at the same time. As he leaves Paul passes him a snack which he grabs out of the air with his mouth. After a few minutes of waiting the food is finally ready. With that, I grab my portion. As I leave I notice Dad who is looking a little under the weather. I will ask him if he is ok later. After a few seconds of nibbling on the delicious food disaster strikes.

"Help! I need some help," Mateo cries out. With that, I spring into action. I slip my Austin FD-issued rain jacket on in record time as I head outside. We all reach Mateo at the same time. The sight that greets us is weird.

"The banner came loose in the wind Cap," Mateo explains while swinging on the banner. It is almost comical. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that it is real life I would giggle at Mateo's misfortune.

"Yeah, we can see that. Guys help him down. Probie let go," Dad orders as we form a circle underneath him. It is tense but we manage to catch him.

"You good?" I ask.

"This is the first time I've rescued a firefighter at a fire station," Paul remarks as I make sure that he is alright.

"Well welcome to Texas," Judd remarks as we start the walk back.

"You got the colours Probie?" Marjan double checks.

"Right here," Mateo confirms as he shows her the flag. At least Mateo was able to complete his task successfully before disaster struck. Our joy is short-lived as we notice a couple of tornados.

"Holy crap are those-," Tyler is clearly shocked. Thank goodness that Michelle gave me the heads up. It is more impressive seeing them in person rather than in news reports.