S1: E6 Friends like these

It has been a couple of days since then and I am waiting for something to happen. Why? Well, today has been quiet. A little too quiet. The only major call we got was helping someone with anaphylaxis. Those kinds of calls are easy. Right now I am scrolling through Instagram. To my surprise, aside from some posts from Marjan, not much has changed. As soon as the thought crosses my mind the signal bell finally goes. With that we all spring into action. After seven minutes we caught up to a truck. Wedged in the back is the mangled wreck of a car.

"What the...," Tim trails off as the fire trucks skilfully pull along the truck. It is then that we catch a better glimpse as to what is really going on.

"We are going to expect crush injuries," I guess out loud.

"Yep. Specifically leg and maybe spinal injuries," Michelle confirms. After a couple of minutes, the truck comes to a stop. It doesn't take long for us to follow suit. After gathering the appropriate supplies. After a few seconds of waiting we are joined by the first victim.

"Tim check her vitals. Piper, you're with me," Michelle orders. We are soon joined by Judd.

"Do you have any ideas when you can extract the driver?" Michelle asks.

"No, I don't because the front half of the car is stuck under there. It's crushed," After a few seconds we join the firefighters at the car. I soon get the victim hooked up to the lifepack. It is not looking good.

Ma'am? Ma'am, can you hear me?" Michelle asks as she conducts a visual check.

"Am I...," The woman trails off. At least she is talking. For how long is the golden question..

"Can you see me? Just focus on me ok? Look at my eyes," Michelle instructs before turning her attention to me.

"How are her vitals?" Michelle asks.

"BP's eighty-one over forty-two and dropping fast," I confirm. Her pulse isn't looking too good either. My dad's crew is going to have to work faster if we are to save this woman. After filling in my dad, disaster strikes. It is going to take too long for Paul to get her out.

"Her heartbeat is one forty and thready," I announce.

"She needs blood now. Piper call West Park Memorial and see how fast they can get a trauma surgeon down here and some whole blood," Michelle confirms.

"Copy that," I acknowledge before radioing it in. As soon as I get the response my face scrunches in a scowl. It seems like this rescue will turn into a recovery.

"They don't have any trauma surgeons and they are going to take an hour for the blood," I fill Michelle in with what is going on. We are going to need a miracle. The miracle soon comes. The either victim approaches.

"I'm type O, O negative. That means I'm a universal donor. I can donate to anyone right?" The other victim speaks up. It is risky without prior screening but it is the only option we have.

"What's your name?" Michelle turns her attention to the other victim.

"Taylor," She replies as she approaches the car.

"Taylor a field transfusion's risky for both of you. Do you understand," Michelle asks. She is making sure that Taylor understands the risk of what is going on.

"I'm just trying to help my friend," Taylor counters. After glancing at Tim and I Michelle makes up her mind.

"Get the transfusion kit," Michelle is stern with her orders. With that, I leave. I quickly grab what we need. I make it just in time to hear Tim complaining.

"Cap, You're not seriously thinking of doing a person-to-person transfusion. I mean protocol is-,"

"If we follow protocol. She is going to be dead before she gets out of this car. Just watch her vitals," Michelle cuts Tim off. After glancing at each other I get everything ready. After getting confirmation from Michelle I carefully insert the needle as Michelle does the same. It is tense. Things are not looking good.