Accidents Happen.

The time passed slowly, so slow it felt like time had stopped. The judge walked over to Max and the other competitors; even his walk seemed slow. The judge began speaking, his mouth moving, but Max couldn't hear anything. She just watched his mouth move. He pointed at some paperwork and then over to a giant scoreboard suspended from the ceiling. Max was in first place, and it also had the second and third placing. The screen went blank.

Max must have frozen for a second or two because the next thing she knew was that her fellow competitors were competing to hug her, and the crowd erupted like a vocal volcano. Now, everything has started to happen in real time again. She heard the crowd roaring, the announcer congratulating her. In disbelief, she looked up at the scoreboard and to her joy, she was still in first place. It had been an issue with the second and third places. Whether the judge was a bit of a sadist, we will never know. It might have been a little less nail-biting if he had advised her there was no issue with her pacing. Never mind, Max was ushered over to the podium, looking directly at her family. Rob was going nuts, flapping his arms and waving at Max. She could see her parents waving and looking so proud. Max felt the medal around her neck, the tears in her eyes, and the joy in her heart. She had done it. She had achieved her dream. She had proved herself, and she had shown the world what she was capable of. She was the All-Star champion.

As Max stood down from the podium, Lassie ran over and swept her off her feet.

"What's next? The world?" Lassie was ecstatic for Max.

"I take it you still want to be my trainer, then?" asked Max.

"Are you joking, kid? You've got the world waiting for you, and if you'll let me, I'll be with you all the way." Lassie also had a tear in his eye.

"It's a deal". Said Max, and she hugged Lassie.

Max slept most of the drive home. After giving everything in the competition, she was exhausted. As they got near Rob's, Max woke.

"Hey, I just want to pop in and see Eddie. Please don't wait for me. I'll walk back." said Max.

"Don't be long. Mum and Dad should be here soon." reminded Rob.

"You know what Dad's driving is like. They'll be ages," laughed Max.

Max was wearing her Medal around her neck and was carrying her trophy tightly in her hand. She opened the door and went into the hardware store. As usual, the store was empty. She heard the footsteps above and then coming down the stairs.

"Ah, what a nice surprise, Maxine," greeted Eddie

He noticed the trophy and that Max was wearing her tracksuit.

"Have you been doing sports? What's that, a trophy in your hand? You won? Asked Eddie

"I'm the All-Stars Champion" replied Max

"All stars, what's that, Maxine?" quizzed Eddie

"Eddie, I've been meaning to tell you for ages. I do CrossFit, bodybuilding, lifting weights, and stuff. I just won the All-star competition, a major competition," said Max, smiling

"Bodybuilding like Lassie & that Scott Barry chap? My my... there was a pause."

Max was worried that Eddie would disapprove. He was one of the four most influential men in her life.

"I always wondered how you managed to lift the heavy stock...that's fantastic. Well done, Max," said Eddie

If only all men were this supportive and understanding, she thought.

Eddie looked at Max's trophy.  "This is fantastic, young Maxine" Eddie was thrilled for her.

"Max", she reminded Eddie.